Ideal icos, vertical flume leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having repetetive issues with water entering the boiler via the flue and blowing the pcb etc and leaking out bottom.

Has been happening for a while but now if it rains at all the boiler gets full of water, and dies.

Tradesmen from a well known company keep replacing the electeonic parts at a big cost to me, but say they cant touch the flue even though they said there is evidence of corrosion on the bolts etc internally in the boiler, but the roofers say they won't touch it because they are not gas qualified.

Is water meant to come down a vertical flue? Is there a common fix?

Sponsored Links
Thanks ive got home insurance hopefully to replace it, in answer to 1st reply the boiler itself seems fine, the flue system seems to be the problem, but thanks for the constructive advice

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately just the truth re icos and the isar well know for blowing the orange control box . Plus internal leaking heat exchangers.

Plus inadequately temperature rated, over heated wiring up the back of the boiler to the fan, being damaged, resulting in the PCB being wrecked.

Thanks for updating with legit reasons, i do appreciate it, and now mentioned i have had some of these issues, however its the affordability factor of a whole new system that prevents me from changing it in the current climate, granted over time it may be more expensive but i dont ha e the upfront funds to replace it whole sale, not for the short term anyway, would like a combi when possible but current quotes i got were around the 5k mark i think like for like is around 3 - 3.5k too much for my wallet just now all in 1 go

would like a combi when possible but current quotes i got were around the 5k mark i think like for like is around 3 - 3.5k too much for my wallet just now all in 1 go

Is a change to a combi essential/worthwhile at all?

Your like for like swap quote, if heat only boiler - dependent or area, seems excessive. I had an Ideal Icos swapped out for a much better Vaillant heat only for £1800, including an optional filter, adding in a new set of fancy Vaillant controls, for £200, added by me a couple of years ago. The job was though, very straight forward, no complications at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back