Ideal ISAR - CH off but radiators are hot - intermittent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have IDEAL ISAR combi boiler, 14 month old. The problem is that when heating is OFF radiators are hot/warm so house is to warm. After reading manual and conducting some observation I can find the following:

Periodically burner is ON to heat up internal DHW plate exchanger, according to manual. When this takes place display has "t" as per manual. The problem is that this lasts quite some time and radiators are getting warm/hot. Process repeats after several minutes. The end result is that radiator without TRV is hot others are warm as valves is closed. Last nigh house got so warm I had to turn off the boiler off at the mains.

If I use DHW there is "d" on display as expected but when DHW is closed "t" appears again and burger is "on" for some time after DHW tap was closed.

There are no leaks or dripping taps on DHW.

I suspect some problem with diverter valve but perhaps there is different reason? any advice?

If it is diverter valve can this be cleaned/repaired or are there parts to change rather than entire assembly and housing?

If I need to change diverter valve any tips or things to look for?

what could be cause for diverter valve failure, CH system water should be cleaned, system was refilled when boiler was fitted by British Gas .

Just out of warranty, typical...

thanks

Sponsored Links
Replace the diverter valve cartridge, make sure you order the right one as there are two types of valves..... a grey one and a red actuator,
Pre-heat water seeps down the CH and causes the appliance to refire to re-warm the store, vicious circle.

You could even try to take the cartridge out and give it a clean, forgot to say that....

when you remove the cartridge bear in mind it is pressurised so turn off water and drain pressure off C/H

another tip if you find crud in the valve you can guarantee the plate to plate heat exchanger is full as well.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the advice,

if I take cartridge out do I need to change any washers / gaskets etc to prevent leaks or the original can be reused.

does it require any special tools or procedures.

if its a honeywell actuator head then yeah it would help if you had the little key thing to unscrew the cartridge.... but otherwise i'm sure you can get something..... just take the actuator head off and unscrew the cartridge - NOT the 4 screws on the valve body.... the cartridge has 'teeth' around the spring, thats the body, just unscrew it.... clean it, put it back in, check condition of the washers on it tho..... if you buy a new one, everything comes on it...

I'd always assumed that you got an extra years guarantee for paying over the odds.

Yes, its advertised exactly like that.... you get a years Homecare 200, then again, why BG were fitting *shudder* ISARS I'll never know...

Yes, its advertised exactly like that.... you get a years Homecare 200, then again, why BG were fitting *shudder* ISARS I'll never know...
Here we go again!!
If fitted correctly there is no problem with Isars, that also assumes that people working on them know what they are doing. :rolleyes:

Here we go again!!
If fitted correctly there is no problem with Isars, that also assumes that people working on them know what they are doing. :rolleyes:

Still believing the head office propaganda then :rolleyes:

The biggest fault with Ideal apart from unreliable products, is their insistence that it is never their fault, always the installer.

I have attended factory training, approved by Ideal for installations, my name given out by Ideal to customers when they have problems etc etc, all my Isars and Icos's serviced by the book annually, but still I have an embarrasing 35% + failure rate, higher if you count the same boilers that break down repeatedly.

It is really about time Ideal owned up, got themselves together and produced a product that is reliable and does not eat itself away with its own condensate. (But has the industry got any confidence left in Ideal products in general one has to ask, to dare fit their products anymore :confused: ?)

I see Ideal are after new gas design engineers. One hopes it is because they have got rid of all the idiots that have produced the last few boilers since the Classic :mad:

[/quote]Here we go again!!
If fitted correctly there is no problem with Isars, that also assumes that people working on them know what they are doing.
If fitted correctly???? What a stupid comment.... even if IDEAL themselves fitted it would they still blame the installer when their god awful PCB pops, the fan sounds like a crapping elephant, oh and not to forget...... the Brilliant old ionisation pin that was so expertly designed that it allowed the insulation panel to fall on to the heat exchanger and then the back panel melt thru..... if installed correctly I bet that wouldnt happen.. (laughs).

Maybe these "rubbish" installers should just refuse to work on Ideal boilers and let them put it right.... after all, us mere mortals are obvioiusly not fit to work on such esteemed appliances, designed by NASA's outreach centre in Hull..

Piffle.

dave's got a point tbh, the number of ideals i've repaired even out numbers the famous potterton's and glow worm's. isar is flaud left, right, and center.

We stop fitting Ideal's altogether quite some time back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back