Ideal Isar HE30

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have the water supply pipe in our kitchen which is situated by our patio door, when we turn the taps on, you can hear the water coming through, all normal, except that it has all of a sudden started flowing constantly, as if a tap was turned on - except everything is off??

Standing next to the boiler, it sounds like the water is going through one of the pipes into the boiler, even though the boiler isn't in use, and even when it's switched off. There hasn't been any change in the system pressure

It started yesterday morning and is still going!

Any ideas what is causing this too happen, and more importantly, any solutions!!

My boiler is a "Ideal Isar HE30", it was installed in oct 2007, and last serviced oct 2008

Many thanks in advance!!

Kev

Sponsored Links
Doesn't sound like a boiler fault in the first instance.

With the boiler on, but ch off, is the 'd' constantly on, or even the 't' in the display?

If so it will be a leak on your hot taps pipe work somewhere.

Are you on a water meter? If so check to see if that is spinning madly.

Thanks Dave, hopefully your right it about not being a boiler fault!!

The display is showing '0' and not doing anything

Luckily we are not on a water meter!

You wouldn't noticed anything wrong except for the constant noise of the water going through the pipe!

Do yuo have a stopcock outside at the front of your property or in the street that you can turn off and see if that stops the noise?

There is an isolating valve under the boiler on the cold water supply pipe.

Turn that off and see if the noise continues.

If it does then it sounds like a leak on the supply pipe possibly under your floor ??? Or outside.

Your water suplier may be willing to come and try to track it down but they vary in their helpfulness.

Tony

Sponsored Links
In that case I suspect, as Tony states, that it will be a leak on the cold mains somewhere.

Needs sorting asap to stop it producing any water damage to your property.

There is a stop cock on the pipe in the kitchen, i've turned that off and no water comes through the taps - but still sounds like water running through it??

Who would be best to contact? would it be a plumber, or United Utilities (water board)?

And more importantly, I presume that if it is the water board, I would be liable to pay :cry:

Surprise, surprise if its your property then you will have to pay!

Some water supply cos have a scheme to repair or assist with a repair. But there can be considerable building costs involved.

Its usually best to relocate the water supply outside if its a semi or detached and digging up floors can be very expensive or labour intensive.

Before you do anything more you do need to turn off thre street supply as check that stops the noise.

Tony

Are you on a water meter? I hope not :cry:

If you are though, it will be easy to turn off the water outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back