ideal isar he35 3 line fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have a 2 year old Ideal Isar He35 with itime programmer, which is anything but ideal.
We tend to put the central heating on in short bursts. This time I got the fault L-9 and followed the manuals instructions to reset it with the select key. I have since been stuck with the screen alternating between the time and three horizontal lines stacked vertically. There are no central heating or tap symbols, though my water warms up.

I rang the help line, who told me it had overheated and was told to leave it for 30mins and it should magically come back on.

I'm still waiting. Even it's annoying every ten minutes boot up isn't occurring.
I will willingly admit I'm in no way clued up about heating! :oops:
What does the three line fault mean and is there anyway to get rid of it or
Is it an engineer job?

Thanks in advance! :D

Sponsored Links
L9 means a lack of circulation,possibly low system pressure (you have checked it havent you?) or pump failure.
The 3 lines means its overheated as youve said,but you will have to switch of the power,then back on again to get rid of it,if it happens again,you will have to get it looked at.

Switching the power on and off did nothing to get rid of the three lines.
pressure is the same level as it's always been- only varies when the heater used to boot up.
I'll give it another day or so and if it hasn't sorted itself out I'll give the estate agents a ring.
Thanks
:)

The dry fire thermistor may be leaking causing it to short. The dry fire thermistor is thermal resetting and can take a while to cool. But if boiler is stone cold and you still have flashing lines then this will be the problem.

Sponsored Links
The dry fire thermistor may be leaking causing it to short. The dry fire thermistor is thermal resetting and can take a while to cool. But if boiler is stone cold and you still have flashing lines then this will be the problem.

Bloody iPad!!
Ps you don't have to wait 30 mins if you turn off mains switch then back on for 10 secs then off and repeat. This kicks the pump on which pulls excess heat out of hex provided pump is working.
If not the boiler sits on fan overrun until cools but if thermistor gubbed then that's yer problem as mentioned before

Managed to sort it now. Some of the radiators had been shut completely off and the one that is permanently on is only little, I guess the heat couldn't go
anywhere. Turning them onto * seemed to bring it back to life after around 3 hours of being off.
I will try the mains switch attempt when it happens again!
Seems to be firing fine now.
Thanks for your help!

Hello,
I have a 2 year old Ideal Isar He35 with itime programmer, which is anything but ideal.
We tend to put the central heating on in short bursts. This time I got the fault L-9 and followed the manuals instructions to reset it with the select key. I have since been stuck with the screen alternating between the time and three horizontal lines stacked vertically. There are no central heating or tap symbols, though my water warms up.

I rang the help line, who told me it had overheated and was told to leave it for 30mins and it should magically come back on.

I'm still waiting. Even it's annoying every ten minutes boot up isn't occurring.
I will willingly admit I'm in no way clued up about heating! :oops:
What does the three line fault mean and is there anyway to get rid of it or
Is it an engineer job?

Thanks in advance! :D

usually slow / sticking pump, there is still residual heat in the system and it will have to settle naturally

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back