Ideal ISAR M30100

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had to descale the DHW heat exchanger on my son's boiler, and decided that it may be better to fit a water softener than rely on a Combimate, however I note this in the Installation Instructions:-

Domestic Hot Water
In hard water areas where main water can exceed 200ppm Total Hardness (as defined by BS 7593:1993 Table 2) a scale
reducing device should be fitted into the water boiler cold supply within the requirements of the local water company. The
use of artificially softened water, however, is NOT permitted.

Am I correct in deducing that this prohibits the use of a salt based softener? And if so why would that be?

TIA

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry, I don't follow you. We had a Combimate as mentioned, but would like to fit a proper softener, however this would appear to be taboo according to these instructions, hence my two questions.

Thanks

Are you sure the instructions are nor referring to the water in the PRIMARY circuit (i.e. the boiler?) quite often with Aluminium heat exchangers manufacturers are nerous of water softeners due to a possible higher sodium content of the water but for the secondary side (Hot Water) I cannot see a problem, just make sure that the heating filling loop is connected upstream of the softener - I would consult Ideal Technical Dept for clarification on this! ;)

Sponsored Links
i dont live in hard water area so never seen it used
but in theory you magnet on stop tap would solve problem coming back and i have seen them advetised

Are you sure the instructions are nor referring to the water in the PRIMARY circuit (i.e. the boiler?) quite often with Aluminium heat exchangers manufacturers are nerous of water softeners due to a possible higher sodium content of the water but for the secondary side (Hot Water) I cannot see a problem, just make sure that the heating filling loop is connected upstream of the softener - I would consult Ideal Technical Dept for clarification on this! ;)

No, if you note, the paragraph, (copied from the installation instructions) is headed, Domestic Hot Water. :?: :?: :?:

I shall call Ideal tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

They dont want residual salt in the water. Most makers do allow it and its unlikely to cause any problems even if you do.

You have not told us what you want to achieve with this softener!

Tony

They dont want residual salt in the water. Most makers do allow it and its unlikely to cause any problems even if you do.

You have not told us what you want to achieve with this softener!

Tony

I would like not to have the DHW plate heat exchanger scale up again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back