Which water softener??!

Sponsored Links
early 50's .

Made a decent living out of selling magnets ( to the automotive and aerospace industries, not plumbing !!! )

I think you must have 20 years on Tony then! Suppose magnet sales is one of those jobs that somebody must do but not one you think anybody does!

not gonna get involved in an argument but I live in a silly hard water area and if you want my tuppence worth:

magentice devices- limited effect, about as good as useless.
polyphoshordoobrie whatsits- better but not a complete cure and require regular refilling and many units are poorly built and end up leaking at some point or another.
whole house water softener- very good and guaranteed, but require regular filling with salt and many boiler manufacturers don't recommend using with their boilers, even though most of the softener companies and independant tests have shown no detrimental effect, even on cast ally heat exchangers.
If fitted, you'll need an unsoftened supply to your taps and to the boiler header tank.

note: wb softus

Sponsored Links
Made a decent living out of selling magnets ( to the automotive and aerospace industries, not plumbing !!! )

That must have been those magnetic bracelets which you can wear in your car and on a plane ( as long as its modern enough to not use a magnetic compass ).

They definitely work because the magnetic field on your wrist magnetises the iron in the haemoglobin in your blood. They make you look and feel 20 years younger and prevent lime scale in your arteries!

I can agree that there dont seem to have been any independent tests on the magnetic water treatment but nor has there been any apparently on the polyphosphate treatment either.

Tony

Thanks again for all your advice guys-the internet at it's best. I've decided to fit a Permutit PSM65v2, as I believe this will end my scale woes, plus provide other benefits in the long term. Olly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back