Ideal Standard WRS40 What Kind of Boiler Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My good old boiler the Ideal Standard is now 30 years old, and has been so reliable I am loth to replace it, but with the high energy costs it may be time to replace it. Having looked at the alternatives I think a Condensing Boiler is my route to go. I want to retain my existing hot water cylinder with its immersion heater, mainly as a backup. Also want to keep the cold water tank in the loft, reasons for keeping both is that I have a power shower that gravity feeds from the Cold Tank and the Hot Water Cylinder.

My questions are:

1. Is the replacement carried out by a Corgi certified tradesmen straight forward. How long does it take. MOST important any ideas on price.
2. Can I keep my Cold Tank and Hot Water Cylinder.
3. Is a condensing boiler the right choice, I understand that a Combi Boiler does not require a Cold Tank or Hot Water Cylinder is needed, is this correct.

Your comments and advise would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
1) Hard to say without surveying your property, but usually yes. Depending on whether your HW cylinder needs replacing I would usually allow around 3 days to cover this.

With new cylinder VERY approx £2500-£2600 + VAT

Without take off about £300 + VAT

2)Yes but the HW cylinder, if it is old, would be best to be replaced at the same time. Less cost doing then and greater efficiency and running cost savings for you overall.

3)Unless your property is eligible for an exemption certificate (usually most unlikely) you will have to have a condensing boiler fitted.

As you want to keep a HW cylinder then I would recommend a system boiler, but you can have an open vented boiler fitted and still keep the small tank in the loft.

Yes a combi does away with the need for a HW cylinder and ANY tanks in the loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back