Ideas for finishing the staircase in the extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Stairs 1.jpeg Stairs 1.jpeg Stairs 2.jpeg Stairs 3.jpeg
Thought I'd put this one to the forum.

Pretty much the last internal piece to our extension jigsaw is how to complete/finish the new staircase...

We originally thought carpet but with a contemporary feel and different colours of (engineered) wood at the top and bottom of the staircase is there another option?

I'm guessing you can't stain this wood?

Paint it a light grey or white perhaps?

Any ideas or photos welcome!

Sponsored Links
The quality of the photos is pretty poor, they look like MDF. I can't see any grain.

I guess you could paint them and use a stair runner carpet. I can't however recall ever seeing MDF treads and risers before. It might be normal, but I have never seen it before.

Thanks opps.

Yes, MDF unfortunately hence why I thought just paint or have the runner carpet as you suggest.

Any other suggestions? I'm thinking white would be OK as we won't be wearing shoes.
stairs 4.jpeg
Stairs 5.jpeg

2 more photos attached - should be better quality

Sponsored Links
There are laminate style cladding kits plus hardwood ones.
You could keep costs down/ choose for style by painting the risers white, but facing the treads with laminate/ hardwood/ carpet.

thanks Tigercubrider - we might go for the hardwood cladding - I didn't know about that option so thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back