Wood stain bleeding through my paintwork - pics attached

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My hall, stairs and landing is complete, however I need to sort a problem with wood stain bleeding through my staircase paintwork (pics can be found at the photbox link http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/3316197 ). I have been planning to sort this for a while but I thought I would leave the job for a few months see if the paintwork continued to discolour over time, which it has. Hopefully you can see this in the pics. I am now planning to sort the problem in a couple of weeks (back from holiday then). From advice received in an earlier thread //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40632&highlight= I now want to check if my approach to sorting the problem is right.

Here is a summary of the problem....

I had new spindles/bannister installed - I prepped and stained with Rustins antique pine wood dye - I did not like the colour so did not varnish as planned - I decided to paint.

I sealed the knots
I used Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 primer, sealer, stain killer (2 coats),
I undercoated
I glossed (2 coats)

I am happy with the finish, however I am getting areas on the spindles and bannister where the stain is bleeding through.

Here is my solution (hopefully).....

I plan to give the staircase/spindles a light sand to remove the gloss sheen. Then apply a clear shellac finish to the stained areas (or whole staircase). I will follow this up with hopefully one final coat of gloss. Does this seem ok and can I ask how well gloss sticks to the smooth shellac finish.

Also, is there an easy way to get pics uploaded to the forum.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I prefer an Aluminium primer to seal stains.

If I use an aluminium sealer will I need to undercoat again or will one coat of gloss cover the sealer. Also, do you need to rub down the sealer before applying undercoat/gloss, I presume not. Any other advice appreciated.

Yes, you would need to undercoat. You can wipe over the sealer with a fine grit paper so as not to interrupt the film of metal flakes. It would probably be better to strip off your existing paint but that would be a lot of work.

Sponsored Links
Must be doing your head in the spindles/bannister but i did warn you that the wood dye would bleed back through in 3 days or upto 3 months after painting. The thing about Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 primer, sealer, stain killer (2 coats) is when you read there further info of there products on "pdf" format, then they explain that there product does has some limitations but they DO NOT word this on there TINS. They want a sale !

You could try white styptic knotting

Thanks Zampa, I think I will try the knotting. Can you tell me if I give the gloss finish a rub down to remove the sheen can I just put the knotting straight onto the stained areas. Also, when it dries can I just paint straight over with gloss?

Cheers

To add images - if my memory serves me correct, click the Img button, type in your URL, click the Img* button again.

G

No...for two reasons really..one...you wont get vry good adhesion with the gloss and two...it wont cover, gloss isnt designed to cover...it there purely to add the shine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back