Ideas for garden table/chairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a homemade log bench in our garden now, but we're looking for a table and chairs for outdoor eating/barbecues. Two seater or four seater is good. My partner is keen to make them himself (typical) but we're struggling for ideas - has anybody made their own table and chairs before? Alternatively, we could buy a table and chairs but we don't want a horrible quality one from the likes of B & Q. We don't have a huge budget. Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I just knew clicking on that link there would be the cliche pallet table and cable reel table. They are so crap in my opinion and look awful. But thats just my taste i suppose. I'm all for recycling timber but it seems you can just put a whitewash on a pallet and call it upcycling.

Personally a very simple plank table is nice and straight-forward to achieve.

Perhaps some planed down scaffold planks which are cheap and easy to find. If you planed them down to about 45mm they will be a lot lighter

Then a simple welded steel frame if you can weld? I'll try and post a photo of one i made from old building site timber and some old classroom table legs.

Keep it simple and if you must use pallets at least make it so they don't look like pallets anymore.

Sponsored Links
Dear absolutely17,
Agree with r896neo that Pallets are not a good look. Also agree that "plank table" or what I call a "Farmhouse" table is relatively easy.

For example see:
http://ana-white.com/2013/04/plans/happier-homemaker-farmhouse-table

I simplified this using 4 fence posts for the legs, cut in half planks for the skirt and planks for the top. Sanded table top with belt sander to get it (relatively) flat. Then treat with decking waxoil (noting that some of these contain toxic chemicals).

Downside is that this is pine so it will rot and have a black mottled surface faster than teak. Upside is that can be made to fit your chairs and will be cheaper than teak.

Unfortunately never made chairs.
SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back