ideas for Storage/Shed at the side of the house

NHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the side of our house we have an area of about 3ft wide by 6ft depth, when we moved in it had already been converted into some type of makeshift storage area but it was pretty obvious why it hadnt been used for quite some time.

Probably because it was filled with cobwebs, floor was full of damp and what seemed to be mud, the wood that was used to hold up the roof was rotting and oh yes the fact that it had a flat roof but had no drainage solution for the water to escape (i am equally as stunned and confused also).

View media item 80762
View media item 80763
At the moment i just want to tear it all out and start from scratch, I am not an experienced DIYer but can follow instructions and guidelines lol

The only solutions that i see possible once it has been taken apart is to either:

- put in a pent storage shed like this one
61keXeYiXwL.jpg

but even then there isnt exactly any place for the water to escape and i assume that it will just drip down the side and eventually build up on the ground and probably just eventually soak into the wood floor of the shed.

- or to make use of the existing walls and create a slanted roof with some soft of drainage feature, in this case i would have no idea what i would be doing and hence asking anybody if they would have any idea on how they would create a handy storage space. Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's difficult to see what's on the other side of the alleyway - another wall, but how high and what's their drainage arrangement? Can you take a roof photo similar to the existing one but from further away and then I think you'll get some better advice.

My view - a tight fitting shed isn't going to be an efficient use of space and is going to cause all kinds of damp problems, not least splashing water in to your walls (and neighbours) six foot off the ground.

I'd aim for a better version of the lean-to 'car port' approach that you already have. Can you take photo of the inside of your roof construction from the inside, using a bright light or something?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back