side of house storage ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We have 2nd alleyway to the side of our house within our boundary. it's alongside next door's garage. I would like to make us of this space, specifically for storage or shelving and first thing would be to make a small section of roofing between our house and their garage to keep things dry.

I will ask their permission first but does anyone have any simple ideas or solutions for this?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Firstly you need confidence in the boundary location. Do not assume it runs to their garage wall. Look at fences etc to get an idea.

Second do you want to create a link-detach arrangement assuming your current house is not connected to theirs in any way?

Is the garage flat or pitched roof?

thanks - their house is actually just around the corner so the garage is end of their garden. Our garage is other side of our house with a side gate to the side of it. I will triple check the boundairues but our fencing does down to the side and stops flush inline with their garage completing the rest of the alley way

Check the aerial plot view. If it shows the garage on the boundary then you might assume it’s a party wall. You will need to check if a party wall agreement is needed to build on to it. That depends what you are proposing.

It might be easier just to put a standalone unit in the space.

Sponsored Links
just looked and the title definitely shows the alleyway up to where the garage starts is ours. From what I am reading online, we would just need to ask the neighbour if they are OK with us attaching anything to garage. .
Or yes a standalone unit is the next option

It depends what you are thinking.

If you are considering using their garage wall structurally and cutting in or attaching to it. Then you better be sure the wall straddles the boundary.

If you are planning to put something up against it
The you may need to serve a line of juncture notice.

Back