planning permission for extending a stand alone garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

I wondered if anybody can help. I am looking to buy a house and use the stand alone garage for office space. It is already used for office space and I want to extend.

Basically the garage is 5m by 5mtrs. It has a pitched roof, and the roof also has a room in it with a window. One of the walls runs along side the boundary wall.

I would like to extend the garage by another 5mtrs by 5mtrs. Making the garage 10mtrs by 5mtrs. So I would want to extend the wall running alongside the boundary wall by 5mtrs. I only want to put a flat roof on, as this will be cheaper.

Does anyone think I will need planning permission for this as it runs along side the boundary. I read somewhere that it need planning permission if it is within 2mtrs of the boundary. Is this correct?

I have tried ringing a couple of local builders, and basically they said they are too busy but let them know if we buy the house, which is not a great help.

If any body could help me it would be a great help.

Thank you Andrew

Sponsored Links
I have tried ringing a couple of local builders, and basically they said they are too busy but let them know if we buy the house, which is not a great help.
Builders won't be interested because there's no job there yet.

Anyway its all here: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/ Being within 2m just restricts the height and may affect your choice of materials.

Phone the planning department and ask them if 'there are any permitted development rights restrictions on the property'. Sometimes PD rights get removed.

Thanks for info, I will look through it now and ring the planning department.

The house is on a corner and has tonnes of space around the house. The current owner has the left the garden very open with a low wall going round the edge, then built a high wall with a small courtyard, this is where the garage is. So the new extension will be nowhere near the 50% of the land the house sits on. We plan to put fencing around the garden and knock the high wall and opening up the garden to the courtyard and with the fencing it will make it a lot more private.making it a lot more private.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back