rebuilding a garage ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all... before I go to planning office thought I would get some feedback, if you don't mind...
we have a run down, single skin, garage at the bottom of our garden (4m x 5m) that opens out onto a lane with 1 side built up off an 450mm thick stone boundary wall. the garage has been there 30+ years, no longer has a roof, but does have double doors opening on the back lane.

The plan is to knock it all down, including the length of boundary wall, and build an insulated, double skin, flat roof garage of the same dimensions.
I've had verbal concent from the neighbour to take down the boundary wall and will get it in writing before work starts. will also face the boundary wall side of the garage with the stone so it looks as original.
Question is, will I need planning permission and/or building control involved ?
the garage is 14 metres from the house if that makes a difference ?

also, the roof of the garage will be level with the garden so was wondering if you think it feasable to build a wooden garden room/office on top of the garage ?
it would be almost the width of the garage by 3m deep, so 2m in from the front of the garage. both neighbours have no objection to it.

technically the whole structure (garage/garden room) would be ~5m high viewd from the lane, but only 2.5m higher than garden level.

is this wishfull thinking ?

thanks

I'm in South Wales if that makes a difference

Sponsored Links
Providing you have PD rights intact, it could be carried out under PD (i.e. not requiring a formal Planning application). The garage may also be exempt from Building Regulations. Have a read here...

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/

Note that you cannot add a balcony, etc... If you were keen to do this, a formal Planning application would be required.

But like with everything, if in doubt, ask as their may be some property history in relation to such works that may request approvals for both Planning and Building Regulations.

also, the roof of the garage will be level with the garden so was wondering if you think it feasable to build a wooden garden room/office on top of the garage ?
it would be almost the width of the garage by 3m deep, so 2m in from the front of the garage. both neighbours have no objection to it.

technically the whole structure (garage/garden room) would be ~5m high viewd from the lane, but only 2.5m higher than garden level.
See #2 here: http://planningjungle.com/wp-conten...10-Worst-Permitted-Development-Loopholes.pdf.

At first glance it would seem that what you need to do is to build a 2-storey building with the top floor no more than 2.5m higher than the garden at the point it meets it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back