Building an Attached garage & Utility

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Just after a bit of advice.
I have a driveway down the side of my house, the width from my house wall to the neighbours garage (which is right on the boundary!) is about 2400mm. (so barely enough for a garage!)

So would anyone know how close i can build up to the neighbours garage.
And if there a only a tiny gap between her garage wall & mine i gather there would be a problem of damp etc.. getting in the gap? are there ways to over come this.

Hers is a single skin garage wall build right on the boundary, with a flat roof.
I ideally want a 'hip' style roof to match the house, but then i'd have to bring the wall in to allow guttering for my roof?

I Guess the best way would be to attach my garage to hers? i'm not confident she'd go for that so trying to gather some information regarding options.
The garage will only be for storage (so i can get rid of the asbestos sheet garage in my garden) so won't want to get a car in, but would like a standard 7' door on there so it looks right.

Any information is greatly appreciated, just trying to get an idea if this is possible or not given the space limits.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
'In theory' The likelihood of getting planning permission shouldn't be a problem if the new development you are considering is vision-ally pleasant (the correct word has just escaped me ) :confused: I.E. you go for a flat roof design which matches your neighbours garage. In an ideal world garages would have roofs, which matched the neighbouring property, however considering the lack of physical space and the existing garage; I would guess the hipped roof idea is a 'non-starter'.

I'm not an expert on the possible different designs which could be used, however I would assume that: your garage would need to be incorporated into your neighbours garage, for practical reasons. This could be an expensive exercise, for obtaining only 2 and half meters of garage space.

Maybe a wooden or a pre-fabricated garage would be your best route. You would need to checkout GDP.

What you need to do is speak to friends and neighbours and ask them if they can recommend a decent designer/architect type bod who is familiar with local authority stuff and who is prepared to pop round and have a consultation about your proposals.

The points you have raised are important ones and need consideration

The roof for example would likely need to pitch from front to back in order for you to drain the gutter on your own property.

However the gap between your properties need be no more than is necessary to draw a line on an ordinance survey map. So long as the builder is competent then there be no more risk of damp down a 10mm gap than any other.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, i need to try and find a reliable architect/designer, but everyone i know whos had work done recently has had problems...
I will ask around.

I have noticed a house around the corner which has had a garage built with the hipped roof, and that is attached to their neighbours garage which has a flat roof... they have guttering front & back, the side slope runs onto the neighbours flat roof!! that'd be perfect as i'd get maximum width & the roof i want, but our neighbour wouldn't even let me fix a fence post to her garage wall so can't see her allowing that some how!.

I had thought about the prefab route, as i have a carport at the moment, but one of the main reasons for a garage on the side it to have small utility & WC behind.

I think my only option is to get someone round who knows there stuff & see what i can & can't do. (just need to find that 'someone')

Thanks again for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back