Planning permission for Double garage across 2 properties.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have decided to look into building a double garage in our rear garden.
Spoke to planning officer but he was very vague and did not rrally answer my question.
We own 2 detached properties which are situated next to each other.
Naturally we want to build garage for both and to save costs a double would fit in nicely along the boundary. The boundary would split the garages into 2 effectively one for each property .
My question is if we are 2m away from the rear boundary are we able to build 2.5m eves and 4m dual pitch as PD.
We will be under 1m from the boundary from each property we own as it will be on the boundary.
The planning officer said technically you may need 2 applications as you will be near each others boundaries.
If I need to apply will it pass as there is no neighbour in effect and we are 2m away from any objecting neighbours.?

Sponsored Links
Yes that's correct.
We could build 2 separate garages and have them each with a pent roof separated with the boundary but that will not look right and then the height restriction may even apply for us. 2.5 max height for roof really for a double garage will give a really a very shallow profile or a flat one.

My only alternative may be to attach it to the house on side to the boundary. This will mean no access for bins and be only 9ft wide as oppose to 10ft we want.
Plus we will not be able to build one for next door as they do not have space on side as we do.
The may have to have it detached.

If you're going the PP route there's noting stopping you putting in a single application for your double garage- you can apply for PP on any land, not just land that you own. Since you're going for PP, you can apply for whatever size and shape building you like- don't worry about the PD limits, just design something that will do what you want it to do and not be a complete eyesore. But there are no guarantees that permission will be granted....

Sponsored Links
Or ask for planning permission to build your double garage across the boundary.

You are over thinking this to save what is small change compared to the cost of the build.

Go for what results in good design. If it is good design the planning authority is likely to approve.

Thanks for your advice chaps.
I'm I right in assuming a attached garage is treated as an extension and under permitted development I would be able to achieve 3m eaves and 4m roof height without planning as I will be on the boundary next door. That is my alternative option .
I will go for PP route as side access is important although we do have access on left side of house.
Just a question on price.
I have been quoted £2800 for a single and £5200 for double.
This includes just materials and labour excluding garage doors and windows. For electric and water materials not included but labour is.
Looking at the posts I assumed this was extremely competitive as most would be around 7-10k.
The builder has done garage conversion and was recommended by friend.

That's not a bad price, specially if it includes groundworks and disposal of spoil (which is not cheap). And a scoosh at the Planning Portal would seem to confirm your belief.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back