Double storey side extension - next to council allotment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Q: Can I build a double storey side extension, all the way up to the side boundary, where on the other side is an council-owned allotment?

Context: House is semi detached. On the right is the attached neighbouring house. On the left is a 4m gap to the boundary. On the other side of the boundary are no buildings for half a mile, just allotments.

I'm thinking of purchasing this property. I know that if the left boundary was typical (e.g. facing another semi-detached house or a highway) that there are strict restrictions on a double-storey extension and also on how close to the boundary you could build. But in this situation, where the boundary is to an allotment, does this change anything?

I know that this wouldn't fall under PD and I would still have to get full Planning Permission, but should I even have hopes this could be granted?

Sponsored Links
You would need to look up your council's policy guidelines for side extensions.
Some councils insist on setting the front of the extension back a little from the front of the house, to avoid a terracing effect if all houses on the road extended to the front - though that would not apply here.
Similarly, some insist on a minimum distance to the side boundary.
You would almost certainly get a decent side extension approved, but how big.....?

Remember, you don't have to own a site in order to make an application on it - although a successful application may force the purchasing price upwards!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back