Planning Permission - rear extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I live in a Victorian terraced house with the normal 1960/1970s extension at the rear for the kitchen and bathroom (2-storeys).

I have applied to my local planning department for planning permission to build a further single-storey extension between the existing extension and the boundary wall with my neighbour. The measurements are approx 6m from the rear of the house and 3m wide. This still leaves a large amount of yard area so is acceptable on the space remaining issue.

I attach copy architect plan for info.

The existing boundary wall varies from 2.4m to 2.8m high (there is a step down at one point) and we intended to build this up to 3m, being the maximum height within 2m of a boundary, then make a simple lean-to roof over the space with a new cavity wall alongside the existing boundary wall (as neighbours will not agree to us removing and replacing the boundary wall).

The planning department have refused saying that it will cause an unacceptable tunnelling effect for the neighbour and will spoil their outlook. With respect, Victorian terraces, running back to back with other terraces do not have an outlook! The neighbour has one side-facing kitchen window which looks out on to the boundary wall, so to increase the boundary wall height slightly cannot change things that dramatically.

They have advised us that we could build 3m out from the rear of the house,up to 3m high on the boundary wall, but then have to step it out by 1.5m away from the boundary wall which seems crazy to me and would create a wasted space where debris can build up - potentially causing damp problems in the future.

Does anyone have any ideas if it is worth pursuing this to appeal?

I attach photos showing the rear of my property and the neighbouring boundary wall so you can get a picture of their "outlook".

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Dana View media item 40709 View media item 40710

Sponsored Links
Your designer's drawings are a bit crap as they should show the adjacent properties in order to allow the planners to make an informed decision

Also, your designer should be aware of local planning policy in particular the requirements for building on the boundary and neighbouring amenity - ie their outlook, the effect on the neighbours use and enjoyment of their property. So with this in mind he should design to what will be acceptable to the planners and in accordance with planning policy.

I don't know what your councils policies are, but all the councils around me have policies which make it difficult /impossible to have an extension like yours on that type of typical Victorian terrace. Tunnelling, overshadowing and light lines are always an issue

If your proposal conforms to planning policy then it should be approved. If not, it can't be approved.

Any appeal can only be on the basis that the proposal conforms to your local planning policies and that the planners decision is wrong or flawed.

So you need to find out from your designer if the proposal conforms to local policy or not

The alternative if to do what you can under permitted development - ask your designer about that

Thanks for your response. However there are lots of properties in my area that have two storey extensions that truly cause a tunnelling effect - i do not believe my proposal does that nor that it harms the neighbours' outlook as they are still seeing the same brick wall from their window. I will try to post a photo of other properties in the street opposite mine and one of another street along from mine.

View media item 40711 View media item 40712 View media item 40713
Many thanks, Dana

Sponsored Links
Yes I can see your point - there is existing tunnelling

The planners may be of the opinion that your proposal will make the situation worse, but how much worse it could get is very subjective

But as regards to the outlook of the neighbours and the existing wall, an extension wall will be higher and then you have the eaves and roof, and the overall effect is to make what little space there is seem much more confined

You do need to speak you your agent with regards to the planning policies

You may have a grounds for appeal if you can convince the inspectorate that your proposal does not contravene policies and does not create tunnelling (as it is already there) and does not make the situation worse.

Also if there are many similar extensions to what you want to do, and these are quite recently approved (past 10 years), and these create a similar effect, then you can argue that it has become accepted practice to approve this type of extension

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back