single storey rear extension HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Quick question regarding planning constraints on single storey rear extension I am considering. Hopefully someone can advise?

We are in the process of buying a new family house. The property is 4 bed semi, located in Conservation area with Article 4 direction, limiting various permitted development rights. Adjoining neighbour to the right and a boundary edge with service road to the left. The borough is Brent.

We wish to build a single storey flat roofed rear extension and I wish to build to maximum possible size.
I know 3m is the maximum depth, but can I recess/ setback from the neighbouring boundary (i.e 3m depth at adjoining boundary and deeper extension further away from boundary line). I have got friends who have similar consent for single storey in Harrow borough (2:1 setback rule), but Brent's SPG 5 does not guide on this for single storey extensions. Proposed extension would be full width of existing rear wall of house.

The adjoining neighbour has a conservatory (with brick walls and glass roof). This is 3m in depth from rear original wall. Can I have my extension 3m depth at this boundary edge and then 4 m depth at a setback distance from the boundary??

Any advice would be kindly appreciated.

cheers,
Cable123

Sponsored Links
You can build out 3m from original house walls. Any more would require a planning app. The boundary is irrelevant to single storey extensions under PD.

Of course you need to specifically check if your PD rights are still valid. If not you will have to submit anyway.

It is important that you speak with your Planning Department to check your exact PD rights specific to your property.

edit: beaten to it! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the prompt responses. The Article 4 Direction for Northwick Circle Conservation Area restricts various changes to the frontage of the property, but I guess the rear would be subject to normal planning rules.

I just wanted to know if there was a rule which allowed me to build an extension deeper than 3m, if I setback/ offset from the neighbouring boundary edge.

Anyone help further please?

Sponsored Links
I just wanted to know if there was a rule which allowed me to build an extension deeper than 3m, if I setback/ offset from the neighbouring boundary edge.
Anyone help further please?

No. there isn't.

Does the maximum depth include the over hang for the eves, so for example the extension from wall might be 3m in depth but the evens overhand approx 20cm over the front wall of the extension taking it to 3.2m ?

ta

The maximum depth does not include the eaves. (This is in the Technical Guidance on p 16)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back