Single storey large rear extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bungalow rear extension.

See current and planned drawings attached. (sorry not to scale :) )

Questions:

If I limited the rear extension depth to 8m, would this fall under 'Prior Approval' permission? Is there a width restricted for prior approval?

If I am correct the permitted development will only let me go up to half the width of my "original" property? This is 6m (12m total as there was a extra garage built at a later date to make up to 15m)

I have a drop down from the back to my garden of approx. 0.85m. Obviously garden will have to be raised, will this cause an issue?
for example:
for permitted development online portal states..
"There are height restrictions but they boil down to a single storey extension not being higher than 4m in height to the ridge and the eaves".
What would be classed as the starting point?

Other notes from the portal:
8. If the extension is within 2m of a boundary, maximum eaves height should be no higher than 3m to be permitted development.

9. Single-storey rear extensions must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house* by more than 4m if a detached house; or more than 3m for any other house. Where not on designated land (Article 2(3)) or a Site of Special Scientific Interest, this limit is increased to 8m if a detached house; or 6m for any other house. Find out more.

10. Maximum height of a single-storey rear extension of 4m. 11. Maximum eaves and ridge height of extension no higher than existing house

Back ext plan 1.jpg Back ext plan 2.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The dog leg might make it a side extension.

PD has limit of 3m above ground level to eves.

The dog leg might make it a side extension.

PD has limit of 3m above ground level to eves.

side extension? really?

The height to eaves currently is 2.5m
Then there is a level patio area approx. 1m wide
Followed by a 0.85m drop to the lawn

Sorry for being ignorant but will this cause issues?

I doubt any of that would be permitted development because of the short 1.5m length of wall.

Sponsored Links
If i go down the full planning permission route... what are the chances of planning officers approving what I have in mind?

Look up your local council's policy guidelines on domestic extensions; the limits they look for on rear extensions will be detailed there (and will likely be less than the 6m/8m limits allowed under the prior notification scheme).

Look up your local council's policy guidelines on domestic extensions; the limits they look for on rear extensions will be detailed there (and will likely be less than the 6m/8m limits allowed under the prior notification scheme).
Tried that earlier... all their links just point to the https://www.planningportal.co.uk site.
They do however list a pre planning application consultancy at a charge of £45.

Some sites send you there, incorrectly assuming you are looking for advice on what does or does not need planning permission.
But all councils I have experience of put their planning policy guidelines on the internet.
Try googling "XYZ council supplementary planning guidance domestic extensions" and see what comes up. It would be very unusual if your
council did not issue some form of policy guidance.
Don't fall for the £45 fee for a consultation - you'll just get some spotty wet-behind-the-ears teenage work-experience kid who just reads out a list of what you can and can't do.

Well it is quite a big extension and you would be left with a garden only 7 metres deep (15 - 8m) :!:

Well it is quite a big extension and you would be left with a garden only 7 metres deep (15 - 8m) :!:

7m is still pretty significant. I am sure I have read some where that as long as I’m 7m+ from rear boundary then that would be sufficient.

I am sure I have read some where that as long as I’m 7m+ from rear boundary then that would be sufficient.
Haven't heard that as any sort of 'Planning rule' but I suppose you have a fairly wide garden.

7m is still pretty significant. I am sure I have read some where that as long as I’m 7m+ from rear boundary then that would be sufficient.
The minimum 7m rule is for two-storey extensions; there is no PD limit on how near a single-storey extension may be to the rear boundary.

The minimum 7m rule is for two-storey extensions; there is no PD limit on how near a single-storey extension may be to the rear boundary.

Thanks.

I got a download of my councils supplementary planning guidance pdf....
From 2014 though but will have a read though and see if any of it makes sense.

Could not find any real useful information on the councils planning guidance.

Have attached a pic from google maps, have drawn a box in red where I would approx like to come out to (bottom property)

Attachments

• B52E6F67-A525-4907-8590-486C1BD0ECC6.jpeg
    B52E6F67-A525-4907-8590-486C1BD0ECC6.jpeg
    339.5 KB · Views: 354

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back