Single storey large rear extension

Is there any advantage of initially applying for permitted dev for 6.25m x 8m... and then once approved applying for full planning for the extra 3.5m?
Or is it best to do it all on one.

Sponsored Links
There are pro’s and con’s to be honest.

When applying for a 9 x 8m extension, the LPA may see it as a vast increase whereas if you did it in stages, they’d only review the additional increase once the PD part has been built. But in doing it this way, you would have to build out and substantially complete the PD extension (i.e. Building Control sign off) before applying for the additional part. You’d therefore end up submitting two Planning applications, two Building Regulation applications and having contractors deal with two phases.

Just be conscious that due to its proposed size, you’re going to have to be a little clever with the roof design. Some LPA’s won’t accept a flat roof and others may not accept dummy pitch roofs of which both would be difficult to avoid for an extension of that size. Your LPA should have online guidance for householder extensions.

If i go down the full planning permission route... what are the chances of planning officers approving what I have in mind?

I went full planning for my 7m extension (9m max). No complaints. If not overbearing for the plot then you should be OK

Sponsored Links

It’s not a great document in terms of detail but all LPA’s are different. Pages 27-29 appear to be the ones relating to house extensions. Just remember it is a ‘guide’ and will not go into detail for individual cases.

Any questions you have relating to PD, the LPA would direct you to the Planning Portal website but even there will provide quite basic advice. That is why you come to places like here for further and more importantly FREE advice on your particular situation ;)

Lots of good, to the point advice, on a lot of replies in this thread!! Lots of replies and practical experience. I see one or two thread replies that say a neighbour can cause problems or others that say neighbours are fine, if it's not overbearing!

Overbearing is very subjective!!! I submitted 3 applications over 1 year for a rear extension on a 1930s 3BR semi in an urban area (not conservation) that extended 2.5Metres our from neighbours single storey extension.

Very low impact in our opinion and most we spoke to. Not to the council and the co-joined next door neighbour. They were the sole complainant for prior notification, the council held it was overbearing, breached 45 degrees, even though they approved a neighbouring rear property with a far greater impact to a single window in a kitchen.

We shaved 150mm off rear on Councils suggestion they still refused. We put in a final 3rd full planning application and...... the council let the same officer assess, who had only visited on a single occassion for a few minutes in the rain, and twice refused. You can guess the outcome, they refused that as well, which we appealed and were successful. It was stressful and annoying and slowed things dramatically. It also took a fair chunck of the excitement out of it"!

In our case I've come to the conclusion in our council it is very dependent on the case officer appointed and how they feel!

Just as a learning point for me, this side elevation for stepped rear elevations, that limit rear extension to half width under PD, does that apply to a previous extension that caused the step rather than an as built original elevation?

Just as a learning point for me, this side elevation for stepped rear elevations, that limit rear extension to half width under PD, does that apply to a previous extension that caused the step rather than an as built original elevation?
It applies to both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back