Rebuilding Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to rebuild my existing garage, I did write up a document that I was going to get the council to look at but please could someone have a look through and see if this is required?

Thanks

Current garage is detached from the house located at the rear of the garden, access to the garage is via a shared alleyway. Dimensions are 5.5m x 4.5m with an offset pitched roof of 2.2m / 2.5m at the peak.

Garage is constructed of wood with cement panels on one side, roof made of plastic roof sheets. Garage door to the rear of the garage and a standard door to the garden.

ajdcPiy

http://imgur.com/ajdcPiy

Proposed plan is to knock down existing garage and rebuild in aggregate blocks on both sides including rear, and 65mm standard brick on garden front.

The garage will be used for domestic purposes only, and the ground area covered by the garage is not more than half the total area of the property.

Dimensions will be 8.6m x 4.5m, the additional 3.1m will bring it in line with neighbour’s garage.

JF3X8

http://imgur.com/a/JF3X8

The maximum height of the garage will be 3.5 meters which is less than the legal maximum height of 4 meters, the maximum eaves height of the garage will be 2.5 meters, this meets the legal maximum height due to being within 2 meters of a property boundary.

30X5m

http://imgur.com/a/30X5m

Sponsored Links
Document for what?

If it's PD just get on and do it, you don't need to explain yourself to the poxy council, that's the whole point if it being permitted.

What I meant is that I read on the internet that planning permission is not required, so I was seeking advice if I should have to apply or not.

Sponsored Links
the ground area covered by the garage is not more than half the total area of the property.

Careful - the area is half the total curtilage area minus the ground area of the dwelling - some get caught out by that.

Careful - the area is half the total curtilage area minus the ground area of the dwelling - some get caught out by that.

Isn't that half the curtilage? o_O

NB. "Curtilage" is the land around a property.

Isn't that half the curtilage? o_O

NB. "Curtilage" is the land around a property.
I meant the maximum area of the new detached building would be half the toal area of the site, excluding the footprint of the house.

The maximum height of the garage will be 3.5 meters which is less than the legal maximum height of 4 meters, the maximum eaves height of the garage will be 2.5 meters, this meets the legal maximum height due to being within 2 meters of a property boundary.
I think the thing everyone has missed is that the *whole structure* needs to be less than 2.5 m high if any part of it is within 2m of a boundary. So you're limited on ridge hight unless you can move the lot further away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back