Build Garage (DIY Project)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Sorry long post :(

Typical Victorian house with garage at bottom of garden with car access via shared alleyway.

Currently have a timber garage with a concrete floor 5.5m x 4.5m, offset pitched roof of 2.2m / 2.5m at the peak. One wall of the garage is cladded with asbestos sheets, I understand I will have to double bag these and not break.

Proposed plan is to knock down existing garage and rebuild in aggregate blocks on both sides including rear, and 65mm standard brick facing the garden.

The garage will be used for domestic purposes only, and the ground area covered by the garage is not more than half the total area of the property.

Dimensions will be 8.6m x 4.5m, the additional 3.1m will bring it in line with neighbour’s garage. The maximum height of the garage will be 3.5 meters which is less than the legal maximum height of 4 meters, the maximum eaves height of the garage will be 2.5 meters, this meets the legal maximum height due to being within 2 meters of a property boundary

I have sent to the local council and they said "As the maximum height of the proposed new garage will be 3.5 metres and be within 2 metres of your neighbour’s boundary it will require planning permission. Permitted Guidance:- If the outbuilding is within 2 metres of the property boundary the whole building should not exceed 2.5 metres in height”.

nLnrYc

In theory I don't need planning permission, but if the roof went above the 2.5 meters and the council did visit what would be the worst case scenario? Would I just have to amend the roof to meet the 2.5 meters or would they make me rip down the whole thing? Maybe I am being to over the top and shouldn't worry.

Looking at 900x600 foundations with DPC. I will attempt everything apart from bricking the foundations, will get a friend to do that to make sure it is all level.

Main question is around the planning permission.

Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 250
Sponsored Links
The worst case is that you have to knock the whole lot down, not just alter the roof. Strictly the whole development would be unauthorised, not just he bit that contravenes permitted development.

In reality, you get asked to submit a planing application.

Thank you for getting back and clearing that up, I will look to submit building / planning permission.

I doubt the council would enforce knocking it down but for the cost of planning you might as well apply. You'll need building regs sign off too as its over 30m2

Sponsored Links
Thank you again for replying, I will look to get everything signed off before proceeding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back