Rebuild Single Garage Question

TKH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I recently bought a late 60s house with no conservation restrictions on it or the area around it. It has a flat pack preformed concrete single garage that is literally falling apart in the back garden. So my plan is to demolish it and rebuild a new one however I need a little advice.

The original garage is simply built on a concrete slab. If I was to remove the original garage and rebuild a single skin brick garage under 15 meters squared with a single pitch roof that is under 2.5m on the original slab, am I correct in thinking I would not require planning or building reg approval?

Then my next question is the same as above however if I remove the original slab and cast a bigger one ( again like the original no footings ) and build a 19 square meter garage am I correct in thinking again I would not require planning or building reg approval?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your speedy reply Freddymercurystwin. I had a good read of the governments planning portal. It appears to show I do not require planning permissions or building regs compliance. But I may be reading it wrong?

Don't know! Are you reading it wrong? Nothing you have said suggests it could not be built under PD. It may be worth checking with your Local Authority to make sure your house retains its PD rights.

• Thanks
Reactions: TKH
Sponsored Links
With the 2nd option, you will need to make your roof "non-combustable" if the building is within 1m of the boundary as it is 15-30m2.

Don't forget, all glazing / electrics / heating should technically still conform to BR and be installed by qualified or competant persons where required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back