Ideas to warm up a solid floor.......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all :)

Kitchen. About 6m x 5m.
Solid concrete floor (to best of my knowledge).
Initially finished with small red clay tiles (similar to quarry tiles).
Later, over-tiled with 30cm stone tiles.

At best currently, I could overlay a max. of 1/2" before going past the thresholds.

Looking more to taking up the stone and clay tiles, and going back to concrete substrate, then starting again.

Would ideally like some stone, ceramic, or similar tiles as the final surface; no lino or vinyl unless utterly unavoidable.

Ideas appreciated, to warm and finish the floor :)

(at a push, if effective / cost-effective, underfloor heating under tiles? Electric better than wet?)

Sponsored Links
Given the months of the year you actually want it to be warm and the hassle factor of laying wet underfloor heating, along with the likelihood that you only want it to take the edge off, I'd go with an electric underfloor heating mat. With that Sqm2 I reckon £300 + 10p an hour that you use it.

Thanks Motorbiking :)

Would even a decent insulation on a concrete substrate (no underfloor heating) still feel cold?

Are there any effective insulating slabs etc, on which I could tile?

it depends how much space you can find by lifting the tiles. Most insulation systems are designed to go under the concrete.

How do you feel about a laminate system on an insulation underlay?

Sponsored Links
Depends on how tough and moisture resistant they are (don't want a washing machine leak to destroy it, for example).
Do you have any opinions or recommendations on stuff that won't swell or warp if we have any spills?

Last edited:
If you have plenty of insulation under, even a tiled floor would warm up from the radiators after a while. The problem is even 20c feels a little cold on the feet if it's a hard floor.
Compared with uninsulated it would be a world of difference though!
We have laminate on a suspended timber insulated floor and it's pretty warm from the general radiator heat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back