Identify this tree and is it deep rooted?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not the best pictures but they are all I have. I’m digging this tree out and wondered if there will be many roots going down or are they more likely to be going out sideways?

A0B27A94-38AA-4632-AFFF-F06624A32A54.png

65DC85F7-11CE-4B62-984C-85EDF03C2151.png

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I’m almost around it now but I was wondering if there could be any big roots going straight down.

There’s been loads coming out sideways
97811FD9-6DE5-42FE-9654-48792967D33A.jpeg

Last edited:
I always find 1 ba$tard root that goes straight down. Keep digging round and rocking the tree until you can get to it or snap it.

What is the plan once it has been removed?

Andy

Dry stone wall around, stone circle of slabs and a fire pit :)

I see you're half way there - but it looks just like our overgown cherry tree, also roots sideways beyond the crown and near surface. Would imagine there's a tap root though.

Blup

I’m going to start heading for the trunk next time i’ve got some spare energy, i’ve left a long trunk so hopefully that’s enough to pull out anything that’s heading down.

Looks like a mountain ash to me (rowan) If so, they can be deep rooted (I think)

I found it helpful to use a block and tackle on the trunk to lever the root ball, to snap roots, also sometimes to put a plank/rock/object below one side of the rootball to redirect leverage up, rather than sideways

There’s a huge tree about 10mtrs away so if I could get a big enough strap or chain I could rathchet off that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back