Identifying a flat roof membrane and advice how to repair it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have this flat roof over a link garage, the majority of it is sound, there are some wrinkles and ponding, and a small hole you cant see in the photos.

The main problem is the drain outlet through the small parapet is leaking into the wooden boards underneath, and all down the wall around the downpipe, which is damaging the masonry.

Can anyone help me identify what this type of membrane is and suggest how to repair it? Its single ply, stretchy/elastic, light grey in color, about 1 mm thick, its been rolled out in overlapping sheets, not sure if the seems are glued or welded. House was built in 1975 - doubt this is the original covering.

There is a yellow substance underneath which is disintegrating, not sure what that is either?

I am thinking I need to cut out the wrinkles and patch over them either with new membrane or possibly with a liquid repair product. For the drain I am not sure how to remake the membrane outlet so all the water is guaranteed to flow into the hopper.

I will also repair the masonry in the usual way. then seal this entire wall to protect it from future leaks.

I want to do this DIY, and avoid having a new roof.
Thanks for your help!
Andy

image0.jpeg
IMG_3251.jpg
image4.jpeg

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 24
Sponsored Links
I have this flat roof over a link garage, the majority of it is sound, there are some wrinkles and ponding, and a small hole you cant see in the photos.

The main problem is the drain outlet through the small parapet is leaking into the wooden boards underneath, and all down the wall around the downpipe, which is damaging the masonry.

Can anyone help me identify what this type of membrane is and suggest how to repair it? Its single ply, stretchy/elastic, light grey in color, about 1 mm thick, its been rolled out in overlapping sheets, not sure if the seems are glued or welded. House was built in 1975 - doubt this is the original covering.

There is a yellow substance underneath which is disintegrating, not sure what that is either?

I am thinking I need to cut out the wrinkles and patch over them either with new membrane or possibly with a liquid repair product. For the drain I am not sure how to remake the membrane outlet so all the water is guaranteed to flow into the hopper.

I will also repair the masonry in the usual way. then seal this entire wall to protect it from future leaks.

I want to do this DIY, and avoid having a new roof.
Thanks for your help!
Andy

View attachment 333825View attachment 333826View attachment 333830
The outlet should be channelled out and away from the building by a good 50mm, so that it's well into the hopper by the time the water falls vertically. There should be a dedicated drip fitted to the overhang also.

What you have is known as a bodge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back