Identifying an electric cable - heat resistant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
how do you identify a cable?, ie. does a list exist anywhere where you can look up the markings on the cable/wire/flex you have to hand, and find out whether it's eg. heat resistant, or find out what this cable is suitable for?

I've tried to find such a list of cable markings on Google, but draw a complete blank, so I came here, knowing that you probably all know this stuff :0)

(Just in case there's nowhere to look it up, the cable I need to identify is marked as follows, and I need to know whether it's heat resistant or not:
"nkt cables SEMKO MAR HO5VV-F 3G1.5mm(2)")

Many, many thanks again,
Susanne

Sponsored Links
electrics:cable_types:har_wire_coding-icl.gif

So it appears you have standard PVC flex.

Most heat resistant cables have "Heat Resistant" and a maximum temperature marked onto it somewhere near the code you have seen.

Thanks!, superfast service :0)

How did you look up the code?
I'd like to know for future reference.

Thanks again,
Susanne

Sponsored Links
As I recall H07RNF, a common cable sold for both ruggedness and heat resisting as the specs say +85oC, is not actually suitable for say immersions.

I think the reason was the insulation is ok, but the sheath is not suitable for long term exposure to high temperatures - going by just the temperature rating is not correct?

Anyone know? Hence butyl for insulation & sheath is the best for immersions?

Might have imagined it, so tired can't tell what reality is. Must grab the IR test probes, that will soon confirm :)

Not found anything concrete, but I suspect it comes down to the long term aging of the various types of rubber (butyl vs neoprene).

Re IR probes, used to be an old lecturers trick with pyro. Quite how they suffered from a sedistic affliction I have no idea. Do not try at home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back