Identifying flow and return on a bypass radiator

Remind me what the question was exactly...

I'm now convinced the bathroom rad cant be connected to the hot water looking at the cylinder, I can see flow and return to the boiler, off the return, a 15mm pipe goes up to feed the F+E, from the flow pipe a 22mm vent also goes up to the F+E, hot water comes from the top of the cylinder via a 22mm pipe into the bathroom for the taps, above the cylinder is a cold water tank this has a 22mm feed that goes in the bottom of the cylinder to supply it and a 15mm pipe feeds the cold water tank, 15mm from the cold water tank feeds the cold taps and the shower, there is a 22mm vent from the hot going into the bathroom going to the cold water tank and a 22mm overflow from the cold water tank to the external wall in the bathroom, there are no other feeds in 15mm that I would expect to see if the bathroom rad was fed from the hot water circuit please tell me I'm missing something very obvious

Sponsored Links
Still not sure what the question is, but - consider insulating all those pipes.

Unless you can see every inch of the hot water circuit from the boiler to the cylinder, I don't see how you can be so sure it's not connected that way at this point.
The behaviour you have described would suggest it is, and it was quite common.

The only other thing to try would be to restrict the flow to nothing with the lockshields, let the radiator go cold, turn the heating on, wait for the system to get hot and then open the lockshields full whilst the thermostat is still calling for heat.
If you get hot water to the radiator within seconds, it's on the pumped central heating circuit.
If it's a more gradual increase in temperature over a few minutes, it's on the gravity hot water circuit.

Unless you can see every inch of the hot water circuit from the boiler to the cylinder, I don't see how you can be so sure it's not connected that way at this point.
The behaviour you have described would suggest it is, and it was quite common.

The only other thing to try would be to restrict the flow to nothing with the lockshields, let the radiator go cold, turn the heating on, wait for the system to get hot and then open the lockshields full whilst the thermostat is still calling for heat.
If you get hot water to the radiator within seconds, it's on the pumped central heating circuit.
If it's a more gradual increase in temperature over a few minutes, it's on the gravity hot water circuit.
Hi Copea Thanks for sticking with me, I switched the boiler off the other day and allowed everything to cool down for a couple of hours, and remember thinking it was strange how the radiator gradually increased in temperature. I'm going to take a floorboard up in the cupboard next to the cylinder as the hot water flow and return go through a wall and into the floor so I can see if there are any connections, I assume that radiator does not need to be balance as it is not linked to any of the others and how wide they are both open is down to personal temperature preferences and I could fit a TRV if I wanted to control the temperature in summer.
also not sure if relevant both flow and return were approx. 32 degrees and the panel was 50 degrees once warmed up

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back