New Radiator Cold (I've read the FAQ)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Fitted a new radiator and cannot get it to heat. I've ran through all the checks I can think of but so far no joy.

New TRV is fitted to flow side (tho it is bi-directional). I've tried both directions just to be sure. Bleed valve is on opposite side to TRV
New lock shield on return side.

I shut off all the other radiators, drained the system, fitted the new radiator and valves, opened TRV to fill new rad then bled it before opening lock shield. Opened all the other radiators as before then fired up boiler again.

All other radiators heat up well as before but the new radiator won't heat. the TRV and pipe work up to it get hot but the radiator does not.
I've removed the valves from the radiator and tried the bucket test and the flow was good from both.

Its a 28kw condensing combi supplying 6 radiators. The new radiator is a tall flat panel type.

Hopefully I've missed something simple.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
did it warm up when you turned off all the hot ones?

do both the flow and return pipes on the rad warm up? What are they connected to?

What do you mean when you say "tall?"

It's panel not column? So it probably isn't upside down.

Sponsored Links
Shut both valves, put in a 1/2 inch male iron to compression in place of the bleed vent with a bit of copper

Attach a hose to copper and run to drain, open one valve, shut, then the other.

Should tell you where the problem is, or shift a blockage

Was there a blank in the end that you accidentally pushed in instead of taking out?

Hi Terry.

Not that I remember but I was thinking maybe something was causing a blockage inside the rad itself although when I drained down the rad it seemed to flow out freely.

I'll see if I can bleed the rad to a drain like you suggest.

Cheers

I had another look at this last week and again had no joy.

Fitted a 1/2" to compression fitting and ran to drain. Got good pressure and consistent water flow from both the flow and return side independently.

I then stripped all fittings from the radiator to see if the was something causing a blockage but never say anything untoward.
One thing I did notice was that on the flow side at the bottom the first anfd second column are blocked. I guess this is just to force the water up the radiator as it first enters?

Next up I simply fitted a short piece of pipe between the valves (in place of the radiator). Opened TRV and lock shield but the pipe never got hot at all yet when I ran each side on their own, into a bucket, the pressure was good and the water was very hot.

I did all these tests with all other radiators and valves shut off then repeated all the tests with the valves open as they would normally be. Made no difference, I cannot get any heat through the new radiator.

There is a hardwood floor down making it difficult (last resort) to trace the pipe work.

Its almost as if there is equal pressure working against itself from both sides. Is this possible? say for example both pipes were in actual fact connected to the flow by mistake, would this happen?

As always any help appreciated

...It's almost as if there is equal pressure working against itself from both sides. Is this possible? say for example both pipes were in actual fact connected to the flow by mistake, would this happen?
Unfortunately, yes
As you have no evidence that the old rad worked, plus the test with the pipe between Flow & Return didn't achieve a flow, then I have to conclude that there is little or no pressure difference between flow & return connections.

Sorry to say you mayend up lifting the floor. :cry:

...It's almost as if there is equal pressure working against itself from both sides. Is this possible? say for example both pipes were in actual fact connected to the flow by mistake, would this happen?
Unfortunately, yes
As you have no evidence that the old rad worked, plus the test with the pipe between Flow & Return didn't achieve a flow, then I have to conclude that there is little or no pressure difference between flow & return connections.

Sorry to say you mayend up lifting the floor. :cry:

Makes sense MeldrewsMate, thanks for the reply.

Looks like I'll need to chase these pipes somehow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back