Identifying My Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help me. I'm trying to identify the wall plaster I have. I have been told that they think it could be gypsum then covered with lime but I'm not sure. There's a white layer spanish knife style. under that there is an thin orange layer and the a pinky/brown underneath (see picture). Definitely seems to be gypsum but not sure what's been used over.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks

Attachments

• 1679645306309.jpg
    1679645306309.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
Pink gypsum.
Original was lime.

Should not use gypsum as it will trap moisture and look like rising damp when it's not

I'm assuming that's an old property with lime plaster walls

Thanks Wayners. Would that be they have put lime over gysum of gypsum over lime? the orange part looks to be in the middle and the back part is browny colour. Is an old property yes and the wall is solid wall and other side is covering via alleyway

Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The pink and the brown are gypsum. There may well be lime underneath, but you have not shown or described it.

The white swirly stuff is some kind of modern decorative coating. May have been used to conceal cracks or other defects.

There used to be gypsum mines in Derbyshire, you need to ask an experienced local builder or a architectural historian if it was used in your town.

If you cut into the wall we can probably tell by looking at it. Where I live lime plaster is a dirty white or cream.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back