Identifying Skirting Board

N

noonehere

Hello, this is my first post on here, so, Hello.

I don't know if anyone will be able to help with this, but anything in the right direction appreciated!

I'm trying to identify the type of skirting board that our property has in part of the hallway. The skirting boards are generally different throughout the house due to various work having been done by previous owners, but I think this is the original, going from what is in the hallway nextdoor (which has a similar issue of having lots of work done and therefore various skirting boards). The property is from around 1890-1900 but I'm struggling to see any other skirting boards like it when searching for it.

The reason I'm looking is to restore the rest of the hallway and possibly other rooms, using either reclaimed skirting boards of the same type if I can identify it, or if not, then just get it copied. Either way, it'd interesting to know since it's been difficult to find.

Attachments

• 21682596_1950383718506601_1015349445_o.jpg
    21682596_1950383718506601_1015349445_o.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 945
Sponsored Links
Also, for reference, the skirting board is 5.75" tall and 0.5" deep if that helps.
Thanks

It looks like a torus profile and most of that type now is in metric sizes but it will be near enough to match it.

Mike

Sometimes the top moulding is just a bullnose bead that has been nailed to the top of the plain board,then plastered up to. Seen it a few times.

Got ours new matching skirting boards (same as yours) made at a local timber merchants in west london,cost a few ££'s but well worth it.

Sponsored Links
thanks both.

had a look at torus and it is very similar, but ours doesn't have the extra 'ridge' sticking out of the top if that makes sense.

as for it being a bullnose bead nailed to a plain board, i couldn't say for sure, but i don't think so as it continues down the top of the stairs at a curved angle, which presumably might be difficult? i've no idea though.

just looked up a few things using both those terms and found this chart. to me its a cross between the bullnose and rebated-1

96aa10f6e97f44c33aa36cf239084674--skirting-board-profiles-skirting-boards.jpg

although the crevices aren't square in ours, maybe like a less deep torus?

had a look at torus and it is very similar, but ours doesn't have the extra 'ridge' sticking out of the top if that makes sense.
It could be buried under layers of skim. However, I too suspect that it is bullnose on top of plain board. Most victorian skirting was done two-piece that way, especially curved stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back