Skirting board help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a beginner DIY'er, can anyone please offer advice if MDF plinth blocks can be fitted retrospectively?

I have replaced the skirting board in my living room, but where it meets the stairs, it could have really done with a plinth block as it would look much neater. Anyway, I didn't even know plinth blocks were a thing(!), and now I have already fitted the skirting board.

So, my questions are:

1. Can a plinth block be 'cut in' (like an upside down L shape) so I could slot over the skirting board and hide the joint? (Is this do-able?)
2. Or, do I need to remove the piece of the skirting board, and slot the plinth in.

If anyone has any other ideas, that would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
You could do either but 1 will be a massive faff without a router and risk looking cark, especially if the skirting has a profile

Better just to buy an oscillating multi tool and cut a plinth block sized section of skirting out , then glue, caulk and paint the plinth block in place. If you're really good with the OMT you won't need caulk. I recommend to run the OMT blade up and down a suitable straight edge rather than freehanding it and cut the entire line in stages rathe than trying to go all the way through (from face to rear) in one point then moving on. This will minimise wandering of the blade

What you're doing is notionally no different to this video:
where they're slotting a skirting board to install a piece of furniture neatly against the wall. Note the use of the multi tool with a straight edge and a gentle gradual cut. Practice on a skirting scrap propped against some vertical surface first or make your practice cut(s) in the area of skirting that will be thrown away when the plinth block is fitted proper

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I appreciate you taking the time to respond

Sponsored Links
  • It's possible to create a mitered or "L" shape in the plinth blocks to fit over the existing skirting board. This can be done by making precise cuts in the plinth block, allowing it to cover the joint and create a seamless look.
  • Use a miter saw or a coping saw for accurate cuts.
  • Ensure the joint is snug and well-fitted to maintain a neat appearance.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back