Staircase meets skirting - making good

:LOL: Symptoms, just realised your reference to my piccies. The penny dropped while I was "fretting" about needing a longer piece of skirting whilst in the shower!....Don't know what the missus must have thought when I burst out laughing in there!
Its been a long day...thats all I can say!

Sponsored Links
If you value your fingers don’t uses an electric planer but use a hand plane.

p43164_l.jpg

Point taken awbcm, whenever I've tried to plane anything using the electric planer, I've often abonded it for the hand plane! (so much more control)h

Sponsored Links
Hi awbcm, I haven't finished yet!. The decorator took over my time! Rest assured as soon as I have finished it ( hopefully this weekend sometime ) I'll post a picture. Its the least I can do for all the quality advice I recieved. ( I'm just trying to juggle too may balls at the moment! ). Its nothing personal! ;)

I'm struggling with this. You'd think it'd be simple but my planing skills appear to be dreadful - can't get the top chamfers to "match up" with the side chamfers - to give a nice point. Obviously I'm not able to keep the plane at 45deg when making the cuts. I'm considering having no chamfers on the long sides and just 45 deg on top ( which I can do with the electric mitre saw ). I've wasted a few bits of wood now. Its amazing isn't it, I used to turn, mill and file metal to really close tolerances during my engineering apprenticeship, yet I'm beaten by a plinth block and hand plane :cry:

Don’t you dare tell me you are giving up. Do i have to hold you hand ?

Mark the 45 deg chamfer on both sides and on the face and just plane to the lines. And the cut the top chamfer last taking it off a little at a time.

Or for a donation to cancer charity email me your address and sizes and I will put one in the post.

Right, I'm gonna give it another go when the kids are in bed and the missus is at the gym ( in other words there are no "distractions" ). If it turns out C**P, I'll send you my address awbcm and I'll make a worthy donation to cancer charity through yourself.

To be honest I don't mind wasting a bit of wood if I learn the skill, its just my wife keeps looking at the wood shavings and blocks of wood on the floor and smirks...which doesn't help............. funnily enough!

Thanks for holding my hand and keeping the faith awbcm ! :)

I gave up! awbcm bailed me out and he kindly sent me the plinths through the post in return for a donation to a very worthy charity..... it was just breaking my heart ( and bank account ) to waste any more wood, just couldn't get those angles right with a hand plane :oops: .

Thought I'd post the piccies ( half way through painting ) just in case anyone else needs to see what a quality plinth block looks like.

Cheers A and all who posted
;)

Ginga - looks good, but is that still that short bit of skirting on the landing, or did you forget to use your wide-angle camera lens? :LOL: Think about that BEFORE you get into the shower :LOL:

Yes Symptoms,the wide angle lens feature has miraculously stopped working on my camera since my last photo effort.......(and your associated hurtful comments about my measuring skills) ;)

Don't make me send in the picture of the perfectly scribed skirting board joint...(which, incidently, only took fourteen square acres of Russian pine forest to produce).....the missus already thinks I've got woodwork related OCD! :LOL: ..the thing is....I think she may be right :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back