Scribed Skirting Board joints - making good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I know a lot has ben written on this subject in previous posts- I've just got two more question, if I may?

I plan to scribe the internal corners of the new skirting board I'm putting in ( Ogee ).
I've been practising on some offcuts and am fairly pleased :) with my results ( cutting a 45deg bevel and then cutting the profile line with a coping saw ).

The first question is do I have to undercut slighlty when following the profile line ( so that the face of the scribed piece fits tight to the already fixed piece )
The second question is ( being that I have not scribed hundreds of joints in my time ) If my scribed joint isn't "perfect" can I get away with making good any gaps in the joint with a flexible wood filler.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
The first question is do I have to undercut slighlty when following the profile line ( so that the face of the scribed piece fits tight to the already fixed piece )
Whenever I've scribed skirting, I always make the cut at a slight angle so that the face of the skirting meets the already fitted skirting first.

If my scribed joint isn't "perfect" can I get away with making good any gaps in the joint with a flexible wood filler.
Yes you can. If you're going to paint the skirting, just use decorators caulk to fill in any gaps.

Thanks Gcol, decorators Caulk it is :)

Spoke to someone else who said to cut at a slight angle, as you suggest, but as you near the top of the skirting take it back to 90deg, so you don't see a gap when looking down on the skirting board ( although Caulk would probably fill it anyway ).

Thanks again.

Ginga - another advantage of 'undercutting' is that it's unusual for walls to be at right-angles and by doing this you ensure (as far as possible) a decent fit ... it allows a bit of adjustment.

gcol's advice re decorators caulk is spot-on.

Sponsored Links
A little tip when using your decorators caulk after applying use a dampened paint brush flat against the skirting to give a professional washed in finish. do not just paint it into the corner or you will wash it out
also along the top edge to the wall apply caulk and keeping your dampened brush level wash in again you will be amazed at the results.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back