Scribing Skirting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit some fairly plain skirting - the square type with rounded edge at the top. It isn't wood, whatever the other type is.

So, the correct way to do this is to scribe the internal corners and mitre (45degs) the external corners.

I've played about with some test pieces and have managed to scribe some corners which dont look too bad, but the edges splinter a little. The bit at the top is so thin it easily breaks/splinters.

So, I'm not sure what I'm achieving. If I intend to paint, why do we scribe the internal corners rather than just mitre them and fill the gaps with caulk? I've again done a test piece internall mitred that was dead quick, and looks OK to me.

Could someone explain what I am missing please?

And if I do go with scribing, what tools should I be using (tenon saw for the straight bit and coping saw for the curve at the moment) - would a file be better?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i tried scribing the skirting, done 2 corners and it didnt look too bad, I use a coping saw and a stanley knife to get the pointy bits. It took fooking ages so mitred one to see what it looked like, and to be honest it looked better and was a lot easier.

I need to fit some fairly plain skirting - the square type with rounded edge at the top. It isn't wood, whatever the other type is.

So, the correct way to do this is to scribe the internal corners and mitre (45degs) the external corners.

I've played about with some test pieces and have managed to scribe some corners which dont look too bad, but the edges splinter a little. The bit at the top is so thin it easily breaks/splinters.

So, I'm not sure what I'm achieving. If I intend to paint, why do we scribe the internal corners rather than just mitre them and fill the gaps with caulk? I've again done a test piece internall mitred that was dead quick, and looks OK to me.

Could someone explain what I am missing please?

And if I do go with scribing, what tools should I be using (tenon saw for the straight bit and coping saw for the curve at the moment) - would a file be better?

Thanks
the reason you don't mitre them if for shrinkage & fixing, if the skirting shrink due to the heat in the house, every joint will open, also when you fix the skirting, it'll want to open the joint.

when scribed, your first bit of skirting is fixed, then you scribe the other part to it, yes, it's footery to do, but it gives the best results
any shrinkage is at a minimal

Sponsored Links
Thanks, that makes sense then.

However, I mitred the last lot and that was 5 years ago, so I might risk it.

As bigrob says, as a novice it actually gives a better result. Any shrinkage will hopefully be covered by caulk.

Unless anyone wants to try again to convince me otherwise? I am open to scribing, but I can't see the gains on for the extra effort and whilst I'm sure you guys can get a good finish, I sure as hell can't.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back