Skirting Board Scribing Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have started putting some new skirting boards up. I have gone for the 45 degree mitre cuts on all the internal corners, however having read up abit on scribing and it giving a neater join I want to give this a go.

This may sound stupid, but when scribing an adjoining piece to an end of skirting board with a 45 degree mitre cut, do I just measure up with a sliding bevel and then using the coping saw to cut back the wood?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Will I lose any length on the skirting board by scribing, will this need to be taken in to consideration when measuring?
The length is the furthest point the scribe reaches - on some skirting that may not be the wall.

The length is the furthest point the scribe reaches - on some skirting that may not be the wall.
Thanks. Am I right in saying I scribe one end of the skirting, 45 degree mitre the other end, and then scribe then next board in to that mitre edge? All internal corners

No, one end is a scribe, the other end is a straight cut butting up if all internal. It uses no more skirting than internal mitres.

I always work L to R. First piece is usually just straight cuts with LH end to arch or plinth block or whatever, next piece scribe to first, straight cut or external mitre on the other end and so on.

It's a good idea to check if the first piece is absolutely perpendicular (sometimes, particularly when using deep skirting, the wall itself isn't truly vertical and you have a choice of leaning the skirting slightly to close the gap at the top, or leaving yourself a lot of filling). If, on your square, the top is leaning in say 2mm, you can make a suitable adjustment when you cut the bevel for the scribed adjoining piece - just angle the cut the same 2mm.

Great, thanks for this advice. I’ll follow this and see how I get on.

Im fitting the skirting R to L. I made a cut last night with the straight cut up against the door frame, and a 45 degree mitre cut the other end in to the internal corner. Will I still get away with scribing the adjoining piece to this section?

Many thanks for your help

Im fitting the skirting R to L. I made a cut last night with the straight cut up against the door frame, and a 45 degree mitre cut the other end in to the internal corner. Will I still get away with scribing the adjoining piece to this section?
Now you've cut the internal mitre you might as well try a mitre rather than scribe joint on this one. No point trying to scribe to an end already mitred. Scribe the rest - it's easier to get a neat joint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back