Skirting depth > architrave - plinth block on one side?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the process of ordering new skirting and due to a recent skim and sticking with existing architrave, I'm going to end up having skirting protruding beyond the door architrave by about 5-8mm. I've read on possible solutions to this common problem and the two main ones I've looked at are "chamfering" the edge of the skirting to make it more flush with the architrave or alternatively fitting a plinth/skirting block.

In the pics attached, I've circled the area from both bedroom entrances where the skirting will protrude out beyond the architrave. The other side of the door frame is wider than the skirting so I could leave that as is, however, wouldn't it look weird having the plinth installed on just the one side? Even if I did want to have a plinth block fitted on both sides, I'm not sure how I'd go about fitting it on the side opposite the circled area given the architrave and wall meet at an inside corner.

Any thoughts or ideas on how I could tackle the skirting vs architrave issue?

Thanks,
P

Attachments

• Inked1_LI.jpg
    Inked1_LI.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 538
  • Inked2_LI.jpg
    Inked2_LI.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 557
Sponsored Links
Even if I did want to have a plinth block fitted on both sides, I'm not sure how I'd go about fitting it on the side opposite the circled area given the architrave and wall meet at an inside corner.
You could cut down the plinth block on the RHS so that instead of being, say, 80mm wide, it is only the same width of the ripped architrave, say 30mm.

Another thing you might want to consider is to pull all the architrave off for this casing and to build-up the architrave using a layer (in fact 3 strips) of something like 4mm or 6mm MDF, applied to the door casing and then the architrave replaced on top. Just enough to build-up to make the architrave face as proud of the wall as the skirting will be (in effect you are making the architrave on this door thicker

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back