Extra wide architrave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Peeps!
Need a little assistance, just removed skirts and architraves at home.
The it seems when the house was built the joiners fitted these prior to walls being plastered.
The architraves are the chamfered type, but I (the one who most be obeyed :evil: ) wish to have a more modern type such as the torus.
But the width of the ones just removed is bigger than the torus ones at the local shed.
So the question is:
Is the torus or something like this available, with the width being over 80mm to cover up the bare area around the door frame or is it a matter of buying the torus skirts and cutting them down. I am aware the the architrave are normally a few mm deeper than the skirts is this a problem.

Sponsored Links
you have the answer use skirting cut down if reqired
if you are worried about the finnish where they join introduce a wooden oblong /square around 12mm bigger than the width off the archatrave and skirting at the intersection and about 3mm thicker
just be aware this will be the limiting factor in how wide the door will open

Would it be possible, to put a sliver of timber on the back of the shirting that is going to be used as the architrave to bring it out and add depth to it, or will this look a dog a.r.s.e!

A bit more work I know...

Patch in the plastering first, fill and sand edges, then fit your torus arc's?

Sponsored Links
A bit more work I know...

Patch in the plastering first, fill and sand edges, then fit your torus arc's?
That's the problem, the plaster and plasterboard on door heads is already level or proud of the door frame, as the timber was fitted when basecoat and board was fixed, then the skim applied. The original archys are much wider than the once you can find in most sheds and timber yards, so it looks a dogs ahole.
I could fit the archys and patch up around the timber.
A bit of knocking of and sanding required as the plaster curles up to the timber and not flat :mad:

id cut down skirting and leave the thickness diff as it is.this occurs in loads of homes across the country and people arent dying from it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back