What is a wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seems an odd question but it's all to do with safe zones and do safe zones extend around a corner or bend?

My kitchen was extended but the extension wall is not directly in line with the original wall there is a dog leg and pillar.

The whole job was done under the watchful eye of building control while I was working abroad and the inspector allowed a horizontal wire from one light switch to the other.

Since in the extension the ceiling slopes also the safe zone would have sloped and normally cables run horizontal or vertical not following the ceiling slope.

I only have BS7671:2008 not the amendment and the bit which I look at is:-
(v) be installed in a zone within 150 mm from the top of the wall or partition or within 150 mm of an angle formed by two adjoining walls or partitions.
This seems to suggest the kitchen has a collection of walls rather than one wall.

However there is nothing to stop my building of a single room round house and with a thatched roof one would then consider it as all being one wall.

I have never understood why we have 150 mm from the top but not from the bottom as often we have a architrave, frieze or cornice which means the 150 mm from the top is unusable and clearly we would not want to route cables through highly inflammable thatch.

If I was to fit dado trunking around the room clearly I an run the wires in that trunking. Or can I? If I made the trunking myself from skirting then likely one would say you can't run your cables behind that but buy the trunking ready made and it's OK.

jkdd-60.gif
The trunking shown when new is easy identified as trunking but a few coats of paint and it's no different to using home made trunking made from formed wood like this.
S3308162649_300Wx300H.jpg
clearly no one would want to drill or otherwise penetrate varnished wood held on with brass screws so it would be no different than using the plastic commercial version other than looking better.

Once we fit a socket in the commercial trunking then horizontal rules apply but use a riser to get to the 350 mm then we must question if we can actually use even the commercial trunking. The picture shows it going around three flat surfaces so the question is if we can do it with commercial trunking then why not with any other system the plastic hardly stops anyone drilling the trunking.

Once we accept that the dog leg shown is OK then we have to question at what point if any it's no longer permitted.

Personally I would not have wired my light switch horizontal it would have gone into the ceiling space then back down the wall at the position of the other switch. Although we have the 150 mm at the top personally I have never used it although with a flat with concrete roof maybe there is no option.

I have not tried but with the commercial dado trunking I am sure I could remove the lid without a tool but with brass screws holding standard skirting I could not.

Sponsored Links
My kitchen was extended but the extension wall is not directly in line with the original wall there is a dog leg and pillar. ... This seems to suggest the kitchen has a collection of walls rather than one wall.
Indeed - I would personally say that there is no doubt that your 'dog leg' represents three walls and two corners. However, if the little bit of wall in the middle of the dog-leg is no more than 300mm wide, then you're presumably OK in one sense, since that entire wall will then be a safe zone (150mm from each corner), won't it?
I have never understood why we have 150 mm from the top but not from the bottom...
As I've said before, I suspect that is because of skirtings which, at least traditionally, were attached by nailing. I've personally always thought that these 150mm safe zones (top and sides) are rather daft, since they are common places to attach wall-hung/wall-attached cupboards/shelves etc.
If I was to fit dado trunking around the room clearly I an run the wires in that trunking. Or can I? If I made the trunking myself from skirting then likely one would say you can't run your cables behind that but buy the trunking ready made and it's OK.
Yes, that appears anomalous. I see no way that they can 'outlaw' trunking you've made yourself - although, in common sense terms, the more the trunking looks like skirting, the more iffy and potentially dangerous it becomes (whether it's home-made or commercially manufactured).

Kind Regards, John

Would using double-sided skirting as trunking comply with regs? I thought materials had to be used for the purpose they were designed (or something). Certainly it wouldn't be suitable as actual trunking (running unsheathed cable etc) but I don't recall any regs about 'cables concealed behind bits of wood' Seen plenty cables hidden behind door architraves :eek: but I would never do it myself.

I've run cables at the tops of walls below deep (over 150mm) cornices before. The wall ends where the cornice begins!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back