trunking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to mount a TV on the wall and have some trunking 100 x 50 to hide the cables. I want to sink the trunking into the wall but am conserned about the depth. Its going on the party wall of a terraced house and would be about 1m vertical. I assume the wall is double skinned brick but not sure yet. Would the 50 mm depth be safe or should I keep it to 25mm? Could I keep to the 50mm if I put a concrete lintel above the chase?

Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
Sounds a bad idea to me, I wouldnt go that deep.
Cant you fit the trunking surface and make a stud wall to cover it?

That trunking sounds huge, what kind of cables do you need to run to this TV?

Sponsored Links
do you have a bad neck?

you will have after a few months of looking up at your telly.

I made the same mistake, next time i redecorate the front room, the telly is coming down and going on a stand at a reasonable height.

If you are set upon doing it this way, why not look at just using HDMI cables and then being able to use much smaller trunking, 100x50 set into a wall sounds very OTT

Be aware you may not run mains cables and signal cables in the same trunking.

I do use HDMI cables for every thing I can but I've got so much to link up with my system that I have to utilise scart leads as well. Do I have a bad neck? Don't understand the question! I'm thinking I'll use 100 x 25 mm trunking instead.

I'm in a similar situation. I have 2 trunks one for mains and one for signals. Mains is 25x16 trunk and signal one is 50x50.
Unfortunately having read the posts on avforums I went ahead and chased the wall to 50mm (for the signal trunk) before reading the posts on here and elsewhere about maximum chasing depths.
I would like to use a tubular steel reinforcing bar such as that in the link below (cemented in) to carry the cables AND reinforce the chased wall, just waiting for someone to advise me if this is a good idea. Really don't want to have to brick up the chase!!!
Sorry, hope I'm not hijacking the thread, I did post this separately but with few replies.
http://www.metals4u.co.uk/detail.asp?cat_id=49&prd_id=2309

In my front room, I have a 42" on the wall, when sat back lounging on my settee its no problem, but when sat upright, it effectively means i am looking upwards. After a while, this gives me some discomfort in my neck.

Just a matter of getting the right chair. I sit on one of these 3 times a week for four hours a time. TV is suspended from the ceiling above head height. No problem if it's tipped well back, which can be done using a control panel.

yea, thanks for that, but not everyone wants a set of five dentists/dialysis chairs that match the surrounding decor in their front room :D

If you lie on the floor, you would have no problem watching the tv if it were bolted to the ceiling, but again, not everyone wants their visitors to have to lie on the floor to watch a film or something.

Just a thought for the OP, just incase he hadn't already

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back