Skirting and Architrave..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a lot of skirting and architrave to fit and was just wondering if the current trend is to fit blocks at floor level where the skirting and architrave intersect or just bring the architrave down to floor level and butt the skirting up to the architrave.

Will be using chamfered MDF for both skirting and architrave.

It's probably personal taste thing but just wondering what other people do?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Either/ Or, really. The blocks look nice, but can make fitting carpets, laminate flooring, a nightmare. ;) ;)

There is an oak floor to go down first, and then skirting etc on top of the oak hiding the expansion gap, rather than having to use trim to hide the expansion gap which I don't like the look off.

Think I'll go for the block method and router a small radius on the blocks to releive the edges a little.

Thanks for your answer JJ.

Sponsored Links
Not really answering your question but for what it's worth here's what I've done.
I used plinth blocks in the house I'm in now because the original architraves were so badly fitted, the mitres at the top joints were wide enough to drive a bus through so I removed them, fitted the blocks and recut the architraves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back