Door architraves and skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm ripping out the skirting in my living room as we're having laminate laid and want the skirting laid on top rather then use quadrant.

I've bought some MDF skirting from B&Q with the intention of using it for the architrave also. I've since noticed that the architrave is slightly narrower than the skirting. Is it normal just to use the skirting as architrave or is separate wood normally purchased for this purpose?

Sponsored Links
skirting is normally much deeper/wider, unless you have a grand house or massive doors architrave 4 inches wide will look awful.

Of course smaller skirting with an ogee type moulding is very similar

Hi

I've bought some MDF skirting from B&Q with the intention of using it for the architrave also. I've since noticed that the architrave is slightly narrower than the skirting. Is it normal just to use the skirting as architrave or is separate wood normally purchased for this purpose?

have you ever noticed it described as architrave/skirting or skirting/architrave ??:D :D

yes you can use either but its not designed to be interchangeable
in general arch are up to 3" and skirting is greater than 3"
with skirting being around 50 to 100% bigger as a rough guide

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back