Door architraves, doors and skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replasteriing the walls and removing all the door architraves and skirting.

Now its an old terrace property albeit with nice wooden skirting which has been glossed over umpteen times with little beads of gloss everywhere.

As I am removing the skirting and replastering the walls- do I have to get skirting of the same size?

Should I go for MDF or soft wood skirting and door architraves?

I need to buy doors as well - 8 doors, 8 architraves and probably 80m of skirting - I know Howdens have been mentioned - would I be able to create and account?

What is Howdens quality like compared to say Wickes?

Sponsored Links
skirting can be any size if you are replastering. Try and get your plasterer to keep the wall flat at the bottom -on new extension work I used to get the plasters to fit a bead just above the floor and get them to plaster flat to it. Plasterers tend to allow the plaster to belly out at the bottom making it tricky to fit skirting.

personally I would go for mdf -it doesnt cup like timber.

Howdens quality is fine, but you will need to prove you are a 'trade professional' to get a cash account. If you cant get one you will pay silly prices -I hate Howdens sales policy -stuff is discounted buy up to 80% (ie the book price is just silly).

skirting can be any size if you are replastering. Try and get your plasterer to keep the wall flat at the bottom -on new extension work I used to get the plasters to fit a bead just above the floor and get them to plaster flat to it. Plasterers tend to allow the plaster to belly out at the bottom making it tricky to fit skirting.

personally I would go for mdf -it doesnt cup like timber.

Howdens quality is fine, but you will need to prove you are a 'trade professional' to get a cash account. If you cant get one you will pay silly prices -I hate Howdens sales policy -stuff is discounted buy up to 80% (ie the book price is just silly).

So its worth paying extra for MDF because it gets a better finish?

Also about door architraves- MDF there as well or pine / timber?

I will need architraves on the inside, outside and the middle lining?

Sponsored Links
I used primed mdf , height is personal choice but I used large 170mm skirting, hides all the damage .

Old terraced house you can get away with taller skirtings and, probably, wider architraves to help retain some of the house character.
Make sure your plasterer does go right down to floor level with the plaster or he may bridge the dpc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back