DIY architrave for surface mount door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm in a proces of renovating an attic room and I am unsure which architrave should I use for the storage door. The doors are 18mm and mounted on the surface. So I am looking at 18mm architrave to hide the door edge.
IMG_7023.jpeg IMG_7025.jpeg

At the same time my skirtings will be bullnosed so would like to keep the same style for architrave.

I like the bullnose to be on the outer edge of the architrave. This way it will go nicely with the skirting boards. Should I chamfer slightly the inner edge of the architrave too? This make the gap between architrave and the door look less harsh? Or am I asking for troubles if I do so?

The architrave will be out of MDF and will be doing the bullnose myself with a router, so really the question is, can I route both edges, anyone have seen anything like that?

IMG_7026.jpeg IMG_7027.jpeg

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I would chamfer in inner edges and the door edges.

I would only consider routing a bull nose on both sides of the architrave if you are going to bull nose the door as well.

Alternatively, recess the doors and bull nose only on the inner face of the architrave.

BTW, advice from a decorator... sand the primed MDF flat using 240 grit Abranet. Use Leyland Trade acrylic primer- it is a dream to sand and doesn't clog the paper (it is also cheap).

Don't worry about cutting through the paint. I sand until I can see the parallel lines in the mdf (part of the manufacturing process), once I reach that point I know that the grain is no longer raised.

The image below shows how far I sand back-

mdf.jpg

Unfortunately this site compresses images but if you sand MDF you will see parallel lines. I guess that sheets go through massive drum sanders.

I then use oil based paints over the primer, which means that I no longer need to worry about grain raising.

Sponsored Links
...anyone have seen anything like that?
No, because doors are normally installed so that they are flush to the frame (i.e. inside the frame, not laid-on like a kitchen door. This allows the architrave to be set back from the edge of the opening by 10mm (traditional work) or 3 / 5mm (modern work) to form a stepped reveal. If your doors have a sqiuare edge with the arrisses broken (i.e. a 1mm or less round over) then the architraves should get the same treatment. I feel that a chamfer or deep round-over will actually call greater attention to the gap around the doors and may end up looking a little clumsy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back