What length nails for 18mm architrave?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am likely to buy a second fix nailer for attaching a load of architrave and door stop. What length nails would be recommended for 18mm architrave and 12.5mm door stop? 38mm seems to be considerably cheaper than 45mm, so I wonder if the 38mm is sufficient

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
how thick is the architrave at the front edge where it will be attached ??
i assume between 5-12mm then yes

18mm I think. It is flat with just a chamfer on the edge towards the door. So the nail will go through the part that is 18mm thick.

ok you are attaching architrave set back say 6mm on a say 32-38mm frame so your fixings will be 12-16mm from the front edge what thickness are the architraves 12-16mm from the nose ??

Sponsored Links
It's 18mm I think.

This is the profile I have, but with the chamfer being smaller:-
Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 08.29.22.png

Thanks!

I generally use 44 or 50mm for most things unless there is a chance of hitting wiring or pipework beneath - better pull-out characteristics than shorter pins

There used to be a rule of thumb that said 2.5 times the thickness being nailed. 1.5 the thickness being screwed to get the length of fixing.

38mm should be ok, with a nailer you can easily whack in extra nails.

I usually go for overall length of triple the thickness, due to too many problems otherwise. I looked that rule up online.
You can always use one of the no more nails type things for insurance. I used it to hold fully finished skirtings to a really rough wall and it's actually held well.
Are you sure the shorter nails aren't thinner as well? I just worry you'll end up returning with the longer nailer anyway, at your own cost.

He was also a bit over zealous with the power sockets 17 in the lounge and 21 in the kitchen [and none matched].

You only have enough sockets when you're not using any multi way adaptors! Although 17 doubles? Does seem high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back