Architrave question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When fitting architrave to a door lining, is there any reason why there always seems to be a gap between the inside of the door lining and the start of the architrave, leaving a small flat section around 5mm on the outsides?

My new architrave is a bit wider than what I have taken off so I'm wondering if I can get away with fitting the architrave right upto the inside edge?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
you dont need a setback but your accuracy has to be far far greater
and any twists and turns off the frame need to be accurately followed also any twists or warps in the architraves have to be worked out instantly
you will also have to cut the hinges and door keep in to the architrave
may also effect how far back the door goes when opening beyond 90 degrees

nerox, good evening.

Yes you can if you need to or want to proceed as you suggest.

OK I live in a Georgian property, the Architraves [fitted to the "principle rooms" off the main hall] and Facings [used in the more "domestic areas] all are fitted to the very edge of the door frame.

The probable one difference is that, the Architraves and the facings all have rounded bead edges, that is a full semi-circular bead where at its lip to the door frame.

I suppose if you think of it, there are no "conventions" about where to terminate the facing, I think that the drive for shall I call it economy, that has driven down Architraves from 150.mm X 50.mm to a double pencil round at 50.mm X 15. mm or something like that. Where you fix the Facing is purely arbitrary.

Ken

Thank you both for the replies.

I see what you mean about cutting the architrave to accomodate the hinges, i had not considered that!

Sponsored Links
Going back to big-alls reference to siting the hinges?

If you set the hinges so that the rebate to accept the hinge is cut into the door not the frame, and?

If you set the hinge so that the entire "Ball" of the hinge is sitting proud of the door and almost clear of the Architrave the door will swing well past 90 degrees. The ball is the radius part of the hinge.

That 'gap' is called the reveal. It's useful both for practicality and superior appearance. But if you really can't fit your new architrave into the space then you can do without a reveal, in a pinch. The seam won't look as good, but most people are too busy looking at their phones these days to notice details, so meh, go for it.

That 'gap' is called the reveal. It's useful both for practicality and superior appearance. But if you really can't fit your new architrave into the space then you can do without a reveal, in a pinch. The seam won't look as good, but most people are too busy looking at their phones these days to notice details, so meh, go for it.

Thanks for the info, i wondered what a 'reveal' was.

2 reasons why i asked

1) the new architrave is slightly wider than the old stuff, so was thinking of moving it closer to the door (or shrinking the reveal) to get the same end point on the wall, but probably not worth the agro

2) the carpenter, who on the 8th attempt to get him to do some work, fitted the new lining with the top piece across the whole width and the jambs finishing at 90 degrees to them. I'm not saying that's wrong, but the architrave would be cut at 45 degrees where the pieces meet so it would make sense to me to cut the lining and the stops the same way to give some consistency, so i was thinking of hiding that by putting the architrave level with the lining, probably not a good idea after all

just sayin but in joinery
that 5mm gap on the edge of the lining is called a quirk.

the reveal is inside the opening, any opening,any material.
roughly speakin its the face of any openin.

in the above, the reveal is on the face of the lining.
its never on the edge.
but quirk's can be on reveals.

i now some google pics and refs call it a reveal but theyr wrong.

The reveal is the top and sides of the opening that a door or window is set into. Not the bit of the edge of a door casing that is exposed next to architrave

At least up here in the far frozen north we can get away with calling a " Reveal" an "Ingoe" [spell checker loves that last word]

I would tend to call the gap between the Architrave [up here all such things are Facings] and the edge of the door frame [the casing] a Margin

Just goes to show different areas different wording.

My problem is that I get pulled about some words I use in my reports being read by an English claims handler, over the years I have learned to modify my use of the "English" language.

At least up here in the far frozen north we can get away with calling a " Reveal" an "Ingoe" [spell checker loves that last word]

I would tend to call the gap between the Architrave [up here all such things are Facings] and the edge of the door frame [the casing] a Margin

Just goes to show different areas different wording.

My problem is that I get pulled about some words I use in my reports being read by an English claims handler, over the years I have learned to modify my use of the "English" language.

I would be more likely to describe it as a margin, than a quirk.

A quirk, is a step, but usually as part of a moulding, like an Ovolo moulding

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back