Identifying this mystery pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There’s a stinkin old pipe popping up through my floorboards next to where my combi boiler lives under the stairs…

7FE61B16-44BC-41EE-A6AF-510908E2261D.jpeg

845A7B92-25C3-480D-BA2A-8AA3FA341CFF.jpeg

When I have a look under the floorboards I can’t really see where it’s heading to… it’s a solid bit of pipe, some kinda metal and the valve doesn’t budge.

I’m guessing it’s been there a long time, it wasn’t connected to anything when we moved in and we replaced the boiler last year but I don’t know enough about plumbing and heating to know what it is and whether it’s safe for me to simply cut away.

Any thoughts on what this could be?

Or what I need to do to identify it and check it isn’t live?

I want to cut it underneath the floor boards to allow me to clean up this area, fit skirtings and put a new carpet down but is this a job for a pro.

Just worried it’s a gas pipe or something like that.

Sponsored Links
Old Gas Pipe, contact a gas engineer to trace it back and remove it .

Forum never notified me of a response to my question.

Looks like it's what I expected then tbh, thanks for this... certainly one for the pros then. (y)

Sponsored Links
Dont contact a gas engineer they are not allowed to touch it .
You say its smelling then there is a good chance its still live you need to contact the emergency service provider who will come out and check it within the hour for free
Regardless of it smelling it still needs checked by them
0800 111 999

Dont contact a gas engineer they are not allowed to touch it .
Why not? Looks like an isolation valve, eg butterfly type. Agree about getting esp out regards a smell of gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back