Idiots guide to wiring an electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You may remember my last post "electrics in the Bathroom"
well now the same friend who has moved into a new house has a broken oven! would you belive it, 2 days before cooking their first christmas dinner in their new home.
I've said i'd help them out if they managed to get a new oven.

So my question is:

Can someone talk me through the basics of wiring the oven?
I am intending to copy the wiring of the old oven (and following the instruction with the new) - but if you can give me any tips that would be great. Its my first attempt at doing this and i imagine it to be quite straight forward.

Thanks,
Simon,

Sponsored Links
It isn't as simple as all that. Single ovens usually come with a 13A plug now, and must be powered from that or via an FCU. There must be a fuse between the mains circuit and these ovens!

Double ovens require wiring in to the cooker connection plate, which should be behind the existing oven (although I have seen one where a previous owner just left a length of T&E dangling out of the wall). The oven will have screw terminals on the back in which to connect the heat-resistant cable you should use between the plate and the cooker.

Standalone cookers are wired in the same way as double ovens.

Before removing the old one, isolate the cooker circuit at the CU.

If the cable from the cooker plate to the existing oven is manky, definitely replace that. It isn't a bad idea to replace it anyway.

Wire in the new one.

Switch MCB back on/insert fuse at the CU.

Enjoy the delicious meal they will now be obliged to cook for you after being such a helpful sort. :D

I'd go for the single fan oven! you can plug most of these into a 13A socket as suggested by Adam W,

If you do get a double oven, then you need to check that the existing install will cope with the rating of the new oven. I.e. cable size and circuit Breaker. You can only check that out when you know the rating of the new oven.

Thanks very much.

I will make every effort to do a good and safe job!

Merry Christmas!

Simon,

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
Double ovens require wiring in to the cooker connection plate, which should be behind the existing oven (although I have seen one where a previous owner just left a length of T&E dangling out of the wall). The oven will have screw terminals on the back in which to connect the heat-resistant cable you should use between the plate and the cooker.

Is that a recommendation / best practice or a requirement? Reading my manual for a soon-to-be-delivered double oven it specifies a minimum of 6mm T&E and connection to a cooker control unit. No mention of heat-resistant cable or a cooker connection plate.

To connect to a ccu:
'Feed the cable through the cabinet and arrange to route the cable away from the appliance which may become hot'

Very helpful aren't they.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back