Wiring in freestanding oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm intending to replace my existing free standing oven with a new one.

I see on the Currys website they charge £75 for installing an electric oven which seems a bit much to me, but I'm thinking I could probably do this myself.

If I take a pic of how my current one is wired up, turn off the electrics then wire up the new oven in exactly the same way, surely there'a not much more to it than that? Or am I possibly oversimplifying the task?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Yes, that's all there is to connecting it,

however, it may be wise to test the circuit to ensure everything is in order - but I don't know if Curry's do that; they should.

The connections will depend on the oven. Smallish ones often come with a 13A plug. Larger ones require a length of suitable cable to "hardwire" them to an appropriate electric circuit.

Yes, pretty much take a photo of how it is connected and away you go. Remember the basics like turn the power off first, and confirm it is off and so on. I'll assume you are going for a similar size and so the plug / hard wired connection thing will be the same for new and old

Larger ones requirel a length of cable - yup - would Curries include that as a part of the £75? Also assuming (though I don't know) they will disconect the old one and take it away afterwards? (saves you hiring a van to take it to the tip if you need to do that)

It sounds a bit steep - we had ours chuicked of the back of the wagon and dumped in the kitchen, however for installation I guess they are budgeting an hour or 2 of the electricians time (travel, do the 10 minute job, travel again), plus their profit margin, plus any consumables. If you live in an area with local electricians and not out in the sticks then you might get a cheaper rate from one of them.

Sponsored Links
... I guess they are budgeting an hour or 2 of the electricians time (travel, do the 10 minute job, travel again), plus ...
Except that the person is unlikely to be an "electrician" in any meaningful sense.

They also seem to often have a horrible habit of 'finding some problem' with the electrical installation which causes them to refuse to connect the appliance!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back